Essentials and storage

Hi there

Can some of you more experienced drivers give some insight into any good storage solutions you have for all of the typical paraphernalia one needs when driving a TR6?

I was thinking of an old rucksack slung behind seat, carry the essentials - - ie few spanners, water bottle, bottle of oil, torch, vis vests etc etc but I'd expect some nice storage solutions are out there.

This is not the long haul list, just when out cruising what you carry and how?

I would use the area around/inside the spare wheel, out of sight and more secure than a bag in the back in full view.

I think the hi Viz vests need to be stored in the car as they need t be put on BEFORE exiting the car in some countries so these I would have under the seats.

AS for what to carry sure there will be lots of opinion on this, I've seen lists as short as Mobile phone and breakdown service card to lists that would not go amiss on a Camel Trophy expedition !

Anyone would think that you are expecting a breakdown :o

I'm not an experienced TR owner Rich, but I had many of the same questions as you when I bought my TR. Everyone will have different ideas about what to carry and where to store things, but I can tell you what I do. Main things to have, in my opinion, are a fully charged mobile phone and a breakdown service, as has already been said.

In the boot I keep a small socket set (imperial and metric sizes), plus a small tool box containing a range of imperial and metric size spanners, a few different size screwdrivers (flat head and Philips), pliers, electrical insulating tape, self amalgamating tape, range of different size jubilee clips, cable ties, some Radweld, some JB Weld, a multimeter, a torch, a micro battery booster, and one of those flashing red LED lights that cyclists use (which I would attached to the back of the car in a breakdown situation). I also carry 5ltrs of water, which sits behind my seat.

For spares, I reckon the best advice is to only carry what you are able to easily fit yourself (and this will also dictate which tools you carry to some extent). For me, that's a couple of spark plugs, a coil, a couple of injectors, a fan belt, a range of fuses, a dizzy cap, a rotor arm, set of HT leads, a range of light bulbs, some electrical wire and range of connectors.

I put the less bulky spares in the tool box and the rest go around the spare wheel, along with jack and wheel changing equipment.

Hope that's of some use.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Darren,

That pretty matches my philosophy. Only things I added were a few PI specific things. E.g. spare injector.

Cheers

Tim

Definitely the mobile phone and the get you home insurance card.

I carry most of the essential stuff around the spare wheel.