2 more questions....,

Firstly I fitted new (to me) seats, swapped the runners from the existing seats. I'm guessing the seats were early ones as there were no wires from the base of the passenger seat for the seatbelt warning. They fitted easily enough and I found myself sitting higher as expected, however I also felt slightly "lobsided". Are they the same (and I'm stupid) or should I look for later seats?

Secondly, my accelerator pedal seems to be binding in the initial movement, worse when warm, so much so it's hard to pull away smoothly without sounding like a boy racer... the carb end feels ok it seems like the pedal end it sounds like metal on metal when I stick my head in the footwell.

Your expertise is appreciated again!

You may find the problem is at the carb end. The original throttle linkage wears and the pedal requires excessive force before it moves suddenly. This is because the throttle linkage rod has worn.

The solution is simple - fit a Weber linkage rod in its place. The one fitted on my 7 came from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Throttle-Linkage-Rod-For-Triumph-TR7-With-SU-Carbs-Adjustable-Plated-EN1A-Steel-/352022927502?hash=item51f633988e:g:3wsAAMXQROxRF4Wy

The only difficult part is fitting it without loosing the nuts and washers. The ad shows the original part and location - if its worn when you remove it, you will find grooves in the top and bottom surfaces. I recommend checking as my throttle cable failed in the middle of France a few years ago before I changed it.

Cheers

Howard