First attempt restoration of sorts....and also frist dip of the toe in bolgsite....

work in progress, i hope to update weekly..

Nick

http://nickstr6.weebly.com/

Edited by Nickffc

Looking forward to following your progress Nick, having just completed a full nut and bolt restoration I recall the excitement of the strip down followed by the cleaning and prep work, expect lots of highs and lows. The end result though it's so rewarding.

Paul

• 6 months later...

updated B)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks.... was hopeing to update more often but spend so much time in the workshop after work that theres not a lot of time left....!

currently dipping my toes into Zinc plating... going ok but still learning, that should be the next update soon..

Nick

Which toes are you plating? I bet that hurts!

:D :D :D :D

• 3 years later...

Hi Nick,

I have been writing an autobioography and within it detailing my history of cars. I quite by chance came across your website and saw your restoration job on the TR6. This led me to the TR Register to see if I could find any contact details for you and here I am. I was admiring your pictures of NPA 274L and there is one particular reason for that. I always thought the best colour for a TR6 would be black and she still looks class. They didn't make these cars in black as far as I know. That's why in or around 1982/3 I painted NPA 274L black after we restored her. Originally she was a mimosa yellow which I wasn't a big fan of. I bought her in 1978 and I deliberately searched for a car which I would paint black and not feel too bad about changing the original colour. I lived in Edinburgh and I bought the car back then from a chap in Errol near Dundee. I paid £1300. In 1983 she was in need of some restoration, so I put her off the road and myself and a couple of friends pulled her apart. I spent about £2000 on new panels and parts. We also rebuilt the engine. When she was complete, I rarely used her as I had my everyday car, was getting married and buying a house with a great garage for her and I was very busy with my business. She was the first black sports car in Edinburgh, after that a lot of people copied the idea. Around 1988, a friend of mine called me up and asked me when I was going to sell him my TR6. I nearly fell off the chair, saying "oh I can't do that, don't think I can sell the TR". He said he wanted to buy the car for his wife and said he would give me a price I couldn't refuse hahaha!. It was a tempting thought since I wasn't using her and thought maybe I should pass her on. He came round for a cuppa tea and to talk. My friend offered me a price which covered everything I had ever spent on that car, buying it, restoring it and all the road tax and insurance premiums I ever spent on the car and a profit. This car is the only car I ever owned which never cost me a penny, in fact made me a profit. I did the deal with my friend that I would sell the car provided if he ever sold the car, he should give me first chance to buy it back. He never did that. Some years later he told me he sold the car to a chap in Galashiels (I think) but perhaps it was you. Today the car is valued at 3 times what I sold her for hahahaha, so if only we had hindsight. I have a full set of photographs as we worked on her. It's great to see her Nick, I hope maybe I'll be able to get up close to her again one day, that would be a treat. Hope you still have her and hope she is treating you well. I have an original makers parts manual for the TR if anyone is interested in that.  Hope to hear back, take care, best regards, Joe

(the picture below is not her but its just to show the original colour)

mimosa yello.jpg

Edited by jimc