Could be a number of things. Shouldn't be too hard to isolate the problem. I'd suggest you use the troubleshooting guide in this vintage publication on the care of Smiiths Instruments:

http://vintagebritishcables.com/documents/SMITHStheCareofInstruments.pdf

Hi John,

if you have an angle drive out of the gear box (you should have) then it could be that, it often is.

However if you undo the speedo cable from the back of the speedo then you will have access to the inner cable.

TRy and rotate this with your fingers - if you can then either the speedo cable or angle drive is duff.

Pull the inner cable out and examine the end of the cable - if it is broken then you have found your problem.

If the cable is in good condition then the problem is n the angle drive.

If you are lucky then there may be an access panel on the side of the gearbox to get tot he angle drive.

Remove drivers seat, lift up carpets and look for the access panel.

Roger

If the cable is broken there might be good reasons for that. On my particular 4a the cable spigot had partially seized in the speedo housing causing excess torque on the cable.

You would have to remove the speedo and have it serviced.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits
  • 3 weeks later...

If you find the angle drive broken then investigate the root cause otherwise if you replace it it may quickly brake again. This happened to me. You don't want to do this job twice. Check the cable first. My problem turned out to be the speedo itself. The fact that your car was stood for a while may point to the same problem: There is no bearing in the speedo. The steel drive shaft rotates in the aluminium (sic) casting. I found mine almost stuck. Very simple fix. Cleaning up and a little Vaseline and the speedo works smooth like it never did prior. Just a thought...

John

Yep, all basic stuff do investigate, a bit fiddly so check the easy bit first which is the drive into the back of the speedo. If your steering wheel has enough space to pull the speedo out of the dash I find it easier to fiddle with the cable with it pulled forward. (two knurled nuts keep it in place). If the angle drive is duff then ensure that a brass washer is installed in the input side of the unit. A lot are not and apparently it causes stress on the angle drive if not installed. I replaced mine just recently but previous threads have suggested that the new replacement units are unreliable and not of good quality. Mine works (at the moment) but previous threads have suggested that you can get your old angle drive overhauled but I cannot remember who does them. I still have my old original drive in my tool box if anyone wants it to fiddle with.

Cheers

Simon

Yep, all basic stuff do investigate, a bit fiddly so check the easy bit first which is the drive into the back of the speedo. If your steering wheel has enough space to pull the speedo out of the dash I find it easier to fiddle with the cable with it pulled forward. (two knurled nuts keep it in place). If the angle drive is duff then ensure that a brass washer is installed in the input side of the unit. A lot are not and apparently it causes stress on the angle drive if not installed. I replaced mine just recently but previous threads have suggested that the new replacement units are unreliable and not of good quality. Mine works (at the moment) but previous threads have suggested that you can get your old angle drive overhauled but I cannot remember who does them. I still have my old original drive in my tool box if anyone wants it to fiddle with.

Cheers

Simon

AlanT on this Forum will repair your old Angle Drive.

PS

Do not be tempted to change the angle drive from underneath the car, it looks possible but it ain't. You will just spend a messy morning achieving nothing. Gearbox cover off job (deep unjoy) or, as said, if you are lucky (deep joy) you may have a cover with an access panel at the back on the driver's side (RHD). I have also seen cars with the speedo and tacho positions reversed.so the cable routing is all wrong putting strain on the inner cables. The speedo should be on the left of the tacho on RHD cars. I wonder how many were installed arse about face after a restoration or conversion from LHD. Be interesting to hear from members.

Simon

+1 for Speedo ceased, I've had two new ones. Original unit just stopped working, worn out? First replacement lasted just over 3000 miles then ceased, second replacement has been good for over 10 years so far. Also had angle drive fail with short bit of cable joining it to gearbox was worn.

Replaced with piece of carefully ground Allen key about 20000 miles ago and still going ok.

"Replaced with piece of carefully ground Allen key about 20000 miles ago and still going ok"

Love it, will be better than the original design. Will send you my old original drive and you can go into business producing service exchange drives that last.

Simon

Simon, there is somebody doing that now,see prior

post re Alan Taylor, he's your man.

Regards Chris

• 1 year later...