TR7 Not starting

Hi Guys

I've only had the car a few days, it's was going well than one day I went to it and everything looked ok, all the dash lights came on but on cranking the key, nothing at all, no clicks no nothing.

The battery looks ok there's decent voltage and everything else looks to work

I've swapped the starter motor relay with no success.

I'm a bit of a novice so I'm looking for suggestions please.

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

welcome to the forum.

You will need a good wiring diagram of the correct year for your car.

A simple google will find lots of diagrams but all a little different.

Are you saying that the engine actually cranks over on the starter motor. Or is it all very dead.

Roger

I would suspect a dud battery, It may well show decent voltage and light up the dash lights but if it's got a dodgy cell it won't have the guts to crank the engine. Maybe try a known good one of another car to check before you invest in a replacement. :-)

The TR7 suffers from electrical problems. I high proportion are due to the use of un-plated plugs and sockets. Corrosion take place in the plugs and sockets which stop things working.

The places to look for the plug and sockets are as follows. The ignition switch to loom, Under the false speaker grill on top of the dash. On the left hand side, inside the car, of the gearbox tunnel. Under the bonnet by the distributor.

Clean the plugs and socket out with a contact cleaner and fill with grease.

It would help if you had a workshop manual to trace the wiring through.

Other causes are the ignition switch and the starter motor solenoid.

Dave

Try a couple of simple things to isolate problem.

Take a 12v live feed direct to solenoid, if solenoid cuts in and starter turns, then battery OK and starter OK so you are looking for a break between ignition switch and solenoid. If it doesn't turn then take a heavy live feed (a jump lead works well) direct to the starter if the starter turns, then its probably the solenoid failing, if it doesn't turn its the starter.

Alan

Thank for your help chaps ????

So the result is that the battery, starter and solenoid are all good .. not sure if I'm happy or not!

So now I need to find a break in the wiring, can anyone tell me which terminals be live with ignition on and with key turned to starter?

Trying to trace the wires is a nightmare, I have a diagram which helps a little.

Should be a brown live into ignition switch, when switched on power to white (ignition) when turned to stater position power to white& red which goes to starter relay, which should also have a brown live feed, starter relay should put power out also on a white & red to starter solenoid.

Have you accidentally swapped the two white& reds at the relay?

Alan