Do I have a Steering Lock ?

Ok this is a bit of a strange one...Just getting my TR6 back on the road after many, many years off the road when I last drove it

it's a 1971 reg UK car. The ignition lock is situated underneath the steering wheel around the lower crash pad

The ignition key goes in ok and turn ok as does the steering wheel with no restrictions...When the key is removed and the steering wheel turned it does not lock in place at all

How can I tell if it has a lock or not? If the lock has failed should I be concerned driving it like this? (if ok I will leave well alone)

Many thanks

By design yes you do have a steering lock, but like mine I suspect that over the years the spring that drive the locking pin into the steering column has either failed or gone 'soft' I don't believe there is much chance of it engaging by accident while driving the only issue you have is the security one.

I managed to get a NOS ne on line

CP54121-O Commission number does that help?

Edited by jogger321

Originally. CP cars had the ignition switch mounted on the switch plinth .

When I purchased my 69 CP 6 the ignition switch was like yours on the steering column.

During my restoration I have procured all the parts to return car back to original spec.

My findings when I stripped car for resto.

Wiring loom altered to extend ignition cables , (loom since replaced).

Steering column replaced with later model with steering lock. (Replaced with original non steering lock)

If your column mounted switch as been mounted on the original steering column that's progress why it doesn't work, you will need to replace shaft for a later one .

The 1969 TR6 model, that is CP2++++ never had the column steering lock fitted as standard but the 1970 model TR6 that is CP5+++++ always had a steering column lock as standard fitment.

Therefore your car at CP54121 certainly comes into the latter category, so yes it should.

My 1971 TR6 CP53780 did have a steering lock with the key under the dash (I don't know who thought that one up) but I changed it to the switch cowel above the tunnel H section last year and its way better, did away with the steering lock too evidently. No change to the wiring loom as it just fits to its new position easily.

Alan G

• 1 year later...

I was searching this subject as my 1970 cp has a steering lock/ignition under the column and a four hole switch plinth. I feel looking at these items they are original, but could have been added/changed in a previous restoration, or do indeed belong to my car. 

On searching the matter most of the suppliers list steering lock from CP5+++++, but I found an exert from the book:

Original Triumph Tr4/4a/5/6: The Restorer's Guide by Bill Piggott

States regarding standard fitment of steering locks "...but home market TR6's had to wait until early in 1971, at CP52786."

So that differs from the opinion or fact that it started at CP5+++++. Which is correct? 

Gareth

1 hour ago, aardvark said:

My cp523xx made in aug 70 didn’t have the steering lock and that also corroborates the Original Triumph TR book. 

Cheers

dave

When my car was ordered in Sept. 1972  I also choose a number of items in the Triumph accessory book. TR's could be ordered with a steering lock and even hazard warning lights for the home market. this was on my order. But the steering lock became a standard fitting for 1973 cars along with the revised dash instruments. I ran into all sorts of trouble with the accessories that I had originally ordered, a lot of which were found in the boot of my when it was delivered! None of which show on my Heritage Cert.? I am not convinced as to how accurate the info on the certs are as there are a number of errors on mine.

Bruce.

So it's possible mine either had it as an option or was fitted later, just need to decide whether to keep it like it is or change it. 

I don't mind it from a practical sense as that's all I've known. 

Gareth

The change over on TR6, GT6, Spitfire, Herald and Vitesse to a steering wheel lock took place in first part of 1971. The top section, the black bit, of the steering column is largely the same on all those Triumph models. It originates from the first 1959 Heralds. Good old parts bit.

Dave 

My 1CP53xxxLP assembled in Belgium have one, the wiring loom is set w/ this feature. I bought the car in '86 and look like the wiring loom was the original one.

Regards

The commission numbers in Bill's book are correct and Triumph fitted them to all TR6 PI built from the beginning of 1971. CP52786LO was the first TR6 built in 1971 on the 4th January and destined for Switzerland. Not sure why the CC models benefitted from them from CC50001 but would seem to make sense that the change coincided with the introduction of the 1970 model to that market.

Derek

Depends on the final destination for the cars as well as German market cars the steering lock was required from sometime in the early 60`s so appeared on TR4`s.

Stuart.

9 hours ago, stuart said:

Depends on the final destination for the cars as well as German market cars the steering lock was required from sometime in the early 60`s so appeared on TR4`s.

Stuart.

Yes, I had a 1964 CKD TR4 built in Belgium for the German market and fitted with a steering lock from new.

Graeme

My UK market 4A had a steering lock when acquired in 1970. However, the wiring was clearly not from the factory so the lock must have been arranged by the original owner for additional security. Having the column lock was quite handy since it freed up a position on the switch plinth for another accessory control.

Tim