I have spent the last few days stripping the paint off my two front wings.

I know, this was a silly job to undertake in hot weather like we have had for the last few days - the heat seemed to be dissolving the solvent in the stripper before it had a chance to work. However they are done now and I wanted to share what I have found as it may be of help or interest.

I can see from the papers that came with my car that the wings were replaced in August 1985 - purchased from Cox and Buckles for the princely sum of £78 each + VAT. This in itself is interesting given that the car was only built in 1974!

They were painted on top of the e-coat primer with cellulose and the e coat is still fairly tough and hard to strip off, however, as I have been removing paint from the undersides I have found quite a bit of rust creeping spider like under the e coat. I'm not sure if this was caused by stone chips which then spread, or if it was there before they were painted, but I now have to try to clean this up with stripper discs and milkstone remover.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Sean

post-12473-0-29812600-1495990623_thumb.jpg

post-12473-0-44387400-1495990645_thumb.jpg

Hi Sean,

I use Starchem PS-50 stripper - it is very very good; like stripper of old.

if you need to keep it on the wing for any time then cover it with news paper - it will then not evaporate.

I would attack the rust with DeOxC after the paint removal.

if you can make up a bath with plastic sheeting then dunk the whole wing in and leave for 24Hrs.

Otherwise the nylon wheels with bonded grit work very well.

Roger

Thanks Roger.

That's the stripper I'm using. Don't know if it was the heat, but it was not as effective as I thought it was going to be because I have seen it recommended on here several times. I had to use several applications to get back to bare metal. Before this one I had a litre of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-PAINT-REMOVER-STRIPPER-STRONG-EFFECTIVE-1-Litre-Restoration-Car-Body-/332227603719?hash=item4d5a4eed07:g:yS8AAOSwiLdV7w8l

which was much more aggressive. When I opened the tin the lid flew off and hit the ceiling! and it chewed through the paint. As I say it could be the heat evaporating the solvent.

as I have been removing paint from the undersides I have found quite a bit of rust creeping spider like under the e coat.

Fairly standard for Triumph panels and in 1985 they may well have been OE.

Just about guarantee that any original Triumph panel even when relatively new if in primer the spiders were already resident! and the primer needs stripping before you do anything.

Alan

Fairly standard for Triumph panels and in 1985 they may well have been OE.

Just about guarantee that any original Triumph panel even when relatively new if in primer the spiders were already resident! and the primer needs stripping before you do anything.

Alan

+1 I had to strip my wings back to all bare metal 30+ years ago! Then spray them with aircraft zinc chromate, base coat, the horrible green/yellow colour. Its the only paint that I know of that can beat the rust bug!

Bruce.

That looks like genuine OE rust that was already present under the e-coat when the wings were painted in the 1980s.

It was rare to find a dealer-supplied OE panel that wasn't afflicted by tinworm, even when the cars were still in production . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Sean if you had stripped the paint from any of the panels I had fitted from C&B circa 80's you would have found slits,seams of weld, lead and all sorts of repairs and that was just to get the profiles correct then you had to do simular to create your panel gaps, spot blast gun is ok for the small areas of spiders webs Martin.

That looks like genuine OE rust that was already present under the e-coat when the wings were painted in the 1980s.

It was rare to find a dealer-supplied OE panel that wasn't afflicted by tinworm, even when the cars were still in production . . . .

Which of course means if someone is going for a concourse "as original" finish, retention of Factory Spider Web's should be required :)

Will we soon see on classic Triumphs a small patch of bare metal showing original webs carefully protected by a glass cover, much as they do in old buildings to show a small patch or original wattle?

Alan

Thanks for all the comments.

The strip disk is removing it quite well but at the source of each spider there are areas of pitting which remain in the metal. I have 5 litres of milkstone remover. Could someone please tell me the best way to use this to treat these pits. I was going to use a 50:50 solution and paint it on in the same way as you would use jenolite rust remover. Keep it active for a while (a few hours?) then paint with bondarust.

As you can tell I am light on specifics and a search here gives different views!

Thanks