My TR3a seems exceptionally susceptible to the effect of old fuel.

A month ago I resurrected the car from a couple of months laid up in the garage and it coughed and spluttered until I brimmed the tank with fresh Shell V Power fuel at which point it ran like a dream whilst I drove it 125 miles to its new home. (We were moving house).

For the last month it has sat in the garage while the house gets sorted but yesterday I took it out on the road again and it is coughing and spluttering again.

If starts OK and idles pretty well and initially when it is still warming up seems good but once warmed through after a couple of miles, it will not pick up cleanly. I have reset the points, the dizzy has a new vacuum unit from the DD and according to my strobe light the timing is spot on.

Any suggestions as to what it might be? I can on!y assume that if there is a problem it is in the carbs.

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

my TR4 had a six month winter lay-up and with only a 1/4 tank started reasonably well and ran OK.

It is easy to blame old fuel but I think you need to look elsewhere that is making your engine intolerant to iffy fuel.

How old are the carbs, do they need a rebuild, Leaky spindles etc.

Roger

Could it be debris in the tank that is settling when layed up and moving about when driving thus temporarily blocking a pipe and causing the problem ?. Only needs to be fine rust particles if there are enough of them.

Edited by Cew

I go along with the junk in the fuel rather than junk fuel. Settings are unlikely to change through not using car. Mine does exactly as you found after a long disuse. It hesitates and fluffs after starting and idling quite well. An Italian service (after allowing to warm through for say 15 20 minutes drivng) usually fixes it. If not I clean out the pump and carb bowls and if no joy, replace the inline filter even if it looks OK. Then all is well. If that doesn't work for you then fuel supply is eliminated from the likely list of causes.

Mike