Hi guys,

My car hasn't moved a meter after the restoration and I already see some oil drips from the steering box.....I did use a new olive but am afraid of wrecking the nut that holds the olive. I used SAE 90 oil, but would it make a difference if I used thin lithium grease?

Grease would ,hopefully, not leak.

Yves

Millers do a similar product, I have it in both my classics, & no leaks !

Apart from the olive, you can also get leaks from the end plate if not tightened fully, the top plate ditto, & the drop shaft if worn can leak & introduce play in steering.

Bob.

• 10 months later...

Evening, all

After having the stator tube out of the car for this winter's project I've lost the oil/lube out of the steering box. I've got some Dynolite Semi-Fluid Grease from Moss but, on reading the Service Manual, I'm a bit confused as to how much to put in and where..!

The steering box itself has oil filler nut but, under maintenance, it talks about 'an oil filler is provided in the form of a rubber plug, which is located on the steering column approx. 12" from the steering box'... So I've found the hole in the column which, interestingly, doesn't have a rubber plug in it at the moment...

Do I...

1. Use the oil filler nut on the box itself until full
  2. Use the hole in the steering column until it reaches there

...or is there an option 3.!?

Cheers

Nick

It's option 2. You then ensure that the whole of the steering box is properly lubricated rather than 2/3's with the remaining third being 'splash' lubricated. Filling under option 1, given the position of the oil filler nut, and the fact that the steering box is on a slant, cannot possibly fill the steering box 100% with oil.

Rob

My steering box leaked. I tightened the nut on the stator and, thinking I'd fixed it, filled the box with that thick steering box oil. It still leaked. Have you ever dropped a jar of honey? Well, it's a bit like that on the garage floor! I haven't sorted the problem yet (restoration got in the way) but I did wonder about using "Plumbers Tape" (or the thicker "Gas Tape") over the olive.

Cheers, Richard

Thanks Guys

Sorted... I started off with option 2, filling from the hole in the column, but was concerned about the rate the semi-fluid grease was (not) flowing down the column tube so ended up on a two pronged approach. Option 1 directly into the 'box with the aid of a small syringe and option 2 - I had the front end on stands so I was able to work the steering from lock to lock, re-filling the 'box and column when room became available. I'll re-check next weekend.

I've finished the last of the little jobs and checks, and ready for the (slightly delayed) MOT tomorrow afternoon.

Now looking forward to some decent weather.

Nick

Evening, all

After having the stator tube out of the car for this winter's project I've lost the oil/lube out of the steering box. I've got some Dynolite Semi-Fluid Grease from Moss but, on reading the Service Manual, I'm a bit confused as to how much to put in and where..!

The steering box itself has oil filler nut but, under maintenance, it talks about 'an oil filler is provided in the form of a rubber plug, which is located on the steering column approx. 12" from the steering box'... So I've found the hole in the column which, interestingly, doesn't have a rubber plug in it at the moment...

Do I...

1. Use the oil filler nut on the box itself until full
  2. Use the hole in the steering column until it reaches there

...or is there an option 3.!?

Cheers

Nick

Yes...... I have seen a Daimler Dart steering box (a TR unit fitted upside down) with a grease nipple in the side. You just attached your grease gun filled with semi fluid grease and pumped till it came out the upper tube hole.

Quite neat I thought.

Peter W