• 3 weeks later...

Just to warn that I believe I was 'scammed' with this ebay sale, the buyer claims that he did not receive it, even though it was sent via Hermes tracked and signed for.... he immediately (next day) claimed for non delivery, ebay gave me 7 days to respond, but then within 20 minutes gave him a full £248 refund!!

As it turned out I only lost the cost of posting and insurance (£14 odd), ebay covered the refund....I'm still waiting for Hermes response ....

sellers beware of dealing with a car tuning shop in Apsley..... or Hermes

john

Edited by johnny250

In my experience Hermes are rubbish. They repeatedly deliver to the wrong address, get a signature from someone, who knows who, and you're stuck. Avoid.

If I know a seller uses Hermes ( either version) I wont buy. A chromebook went awol last Xmas. Amazon replaced, but the carrier was ......guess who. Previously deliveries have been left hanging on a gate post 1/4mile away, along with the delivery note. Avoid Hermes as you would the plague.

Peter

Not the only 'alternative' postal service that is significantly inferior.

Twice recently I've had important letters delivered weeks after the letter date, both by "Whistl".

One was on a neighbours planning application for a horrifying development, which I had only days left to object to.

The other was from the NHS pensions service, demanding money from me!

Both being public services that must be desperately looking to save money, I fear they have chosen the lowest bidder that provides the slowest service despite the urgency of the missives.

John

Not the only 'alternative' postal service that is significantly inferior.

Twice recently I've had important letters delivered weeks after the letter date, both by "Whistl".

One was on a neighbours planning application for a horrifying development, which I had only days left to object to.

The other was from the NHS pensions service, demanding money from me!

Both being public services that must be desperately looking to save money, I fear they have chosen the lowest bidder that provides the slowest service despite the urgency of the missives.

John

Or a really smart way of reducing the load on planning officers...

The Royal Mail 'universal service obligation' is up for renegotiation in 4 years time. Remoter properties my lose the right to have doorstep deliveries :angry: . Royal Mail is now 100% privatised...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mail#Universal_service

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

So we renationalise it in 2021 if RM owners play silly bu$$ers with USO.

Jeremy C will sort them out.

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Privatization was down to Margret TH. and not to the EU. Anyhow the EU only says that the bid has to be open to any company in the EU.

The bidding partners are free to make their choice, unfortunately many go for the low budget offer.

On the Continent the British companies mostly do it at bottom rates and bottom service...in so far as Tom mentioned... the sooner THEY leave the better. :unsure::)

With concern to mail and package service you never know who is on the delivery side... services are handed over from subcontractor to subcontractor.... :angry:

Jean,

I do feel that 'Britain' has left me, rather than decided to leave Europe. I hear that many in the UK who have Irish or German grandparents are applying to be citizens of those countries as that entitles them.

Wouldn't work for me, but one child is a naturalised Scot, so there's hope there, and as soon as London declares independence from the rest of small minded, backward-looking 'Albion', I'm dahn the apple'n'pears and off to the Guildhall (where we were married) to become a European Londoner again.

John

Jean,

I do feel that 'Britain' has left me, rather than decided to leave Europe. I hear that many in the UK who have Irish or German grandparents are applying to be citizens of those countries as that entitles them.

Wouldn't work for me, but one child is a naturalised Scot, so there's hope there, and as soon as London declares independence from the rest of small minded, backward-looking 'Albion', I'm dahn the apple'n'pears and off to the Guildhall (where we were married) to become a European Londoner again.

John

John,

You are looking at Europe through rose-tinted spectacles, backwards. Its past is done. Its future looks grim because of the euro. A currency that favours Germany and is killing Spain, Greece, Portugal etc. Their unemployment and loss fo jobs to foreign nations - even within europe - is fuelling nationalist protectionist sentiments alll over EU. In ten years time a brexited UK will be looking at the smoking remnants of the EU and thinking 'TG the referendum went the way it did'.

As for moving from the borders of The Lakes to Lunnon. Best joke I've heard for a long time :D

BTW the delivery company you complained about Whistl is Dutch, or was as I think it went bust in Netherlands.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Wow !!!

Isn’t it amazing how a discussion can go from selling an Air/Fuel meter on eBay to the collapse of European civilization in just 14 easy steps…

Charlie D

My Dutch vote on the Digital AFR Meter since I got involved:)

I have not seen many good endings of privitising governmental functions like rail, health care, mail etc.

Not in the European countries before the EU became more powerfull, not in the current EU countries, and not in the UK.

Waldi

My Dutch vote on the Digital AFR Meter since I got involved:)

I have not seen many good endings of privitising governmental functions like rail, health care, mail etc.

Not in the European countries before the EU became more powerfull, not in the current EU countries, and not in the UK.

Waldi

Exactly.

We have yet to see a privatised water company fail financially, but when it does it will mean government bail out, just like the banks. Mail is important, but not as essential to life as water.

Peter