Just been working on a long time members car and found that the spinners were fitted on the wrong sides,He claims that they have been that way for many years. Lucky chap i say.

So please check yours as this is the second time that i have found this. Although about 10 years ago when on a TR tour event when a wheel came of and car went into central barriers.

PLEASE CHECK

ROY

Hi Roy,

I know the adaptors are handed and have always had them fitted the correct way round - LH thread on RHS RH thread on LHS

I know there is anecdotal evidence of wheels coming off.

I also know that my friends Morgan has the adaptors all wrong and for the last 2 or 3 decades has had no problems.

However I can;t for the life of me work out the mechanism for how they undo when fitted AAF.

Roger

It's not to hard to work out if you consider the situation of the spinner being a bit loose to start with.

the spinner (& whole car) will tend to drop a tiny bit with respect to the wire wheel, so the contact point of hub cone & spinner cone is at the bottom of the splined adaptor, & because it is slightly loose, the circumference of hub cone, & spinner cone at the contact point is now larger than that of the splined hub.

Two rings of different diameters turning, but in contact at one point will turn at different rates, so the spinner (if on the correct side) will tend to tighten up, & if on the wrong side will loosen further - eventually coming off.

The lucky ones with spinners on the wrong side are only lucky because they have not loosened at all from being done up tight.

Bob.

The tightness in any case of the spinners with ears is slightly arbitrary as the common method is just knock them up with a copper hammer until 'tight'.

I wonder if a torque setting can be applied to the TR5 type hexagonal spinner ? I've seen a spanner for these but not a socket.

Kevin

Not just anecdotal, Roger . . . . .

Our esteemed Chairman once turned up here in Mere with an odd noise in his TR. A blat round the local test track lanes and yours truly couldn't suss the problem either. Hoges went on his way, as far as the M5 . . . . . where n/s/r wheel and TR parted company, at speed. Yes, you guessed it, rear adaptors the wrong way round.

Not a mistake either of us are likely to repeat !

Cheers,

Alec

My aide memoire is to always bang the top towards the back.

Excellent and useful

Thanks'

Our esteemed Chairman once turned up here in Mere with an odd noise in his TR. A blat round the local test track lanes and yours truly couldn't suss the problem either. Hoges went on his way, as far as the M5 . . . . . where n/s/r wheel and TR parted company, at speed. Yes, you guessed it, rear adaptors the wrong way round.

Cheers,

Alec

exactly what i was getting at Alec

The spinners that i had just found didn't have any engraving / marks to indicate direction to undo etc.

I always imagine that if the spinner hit the kerb when rotating would it tighten or loosen. Tighten i hope

ROY

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

oddly enough you have supplied me with another anecdote - will it ever end!! :o

I happily accept that the physics is correct and that wheels have over taken a few cars in their time.

As for Bob's explanation, I understand that also - but it does rely on being 'not tight' to start with.

Now what twit would have loose spinners or wheels nuts for that matter :huh:

Roger

Roger et al.

With the wheel lightly back on the ground, I tighten the spinners by hand as far as I can, then when fully on the ground, just a light tap and that's all. When I come to take a wheel off, I find the nuts have got tightened up by the motion of the car to the extent that with the wheel still only lightly on the ground ,I use the mallet to get them off, but with the full weight of the car on them ,they are too tight to get off without marking the spinner with mallet dents,. They still look as good today as the day I bought them.

Dave