A type overdrive Spacing tube + Spring

Good Morning

Having removed the solenoid bracket on my A overdrive to replace the gasket and apply a sealiing compound, I wanted to see the condition of the spring and spacing tube. On removal a washer / spacer I believe fell out with it which I was not expecting. The size is 21 mm Dia with a 5mm hole flat on one side. On the other side it has a raised section 12mm dai and 3mm high. ( all measurements are approx) I assume this fit into the spacing tube. I believe the flat side fits against the spring whilst the raised piece will fit into place when inserted. My hesitation is that I cannot see clearly to see if this is correct. Any thoughts please as the brown book and moss do not show the relevant part.

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Pete

Thanks I have diagram in brown book and Moss nothing seems to correspond with the part I have got .I will contact Peter if nothing else appears on the forum

Kevin

I wonder if the original was lost and another "effort" was made to replace it, who knows, but good luck and let us know the outcome please.

Possibly a DIY solution to a worn spring to up the pressure.

Stuart.

Thank you. I have spoken to Peter at ORS as suggested by Bruce. He seems to think it might well be a spacer of sorts. This also backs up Stuarts post. As the overdrive was working well before I think I will refit and see.

Kevin

Just got home and looking at the Moss site. I now see a reference to part number 93 which appears to be a plain packing washer WM58, believe this could be what I have albeit differant. (packing washer) has anybody noticed this before in their overdrive sleeving tube?

Thanks

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Washers are inserted into the tube to increase the oil pressure of the O/D system - could be the spring was old and tired. My A-type had a couple of washers in the tube when I overhauled it, so, in the interests of "leaving well enough alone", I put them back when I reassembled. My concern with your washer is that, from the sound of it, depending on the orientation, you'll get maybe 1mm of "spacing" (with the raised section sitting into the spring) or ~4mm, if the raised section faces away from the spring - the difference would likely affect the O/D pressure. In your situation, I would replace the spacer with the raised section inserted into the middle of the spring, reassemble sufficiently to run the system, take it out for a spin and see of the O/D engages in a timely manner (too low pressure will likely result in a significant lag in O/D engagement). If not, flip the spacer and retest. I went through this a while back. I reassembled the O/D, reinstalled the dash support (not the tranny cover) and took it out for a spin. Just watch out for that big old U-joint spinning right underneath your elbow!