Chasis plate stamping

For some reason, probably because the bottom end rotted away, a PO has cut the bottom off the chassis plate on UOV. It should have the large TR2/3 style plate and its been cut down to look more like a 3a one. I have a new blank plate but does anybody know where I could get it stamped up with the proper type face please ?

Should be clear this is not the brass pates, I'm referring to, but the ally commission number plate.

Edited by Graham

Hi Graham,

is this the one http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/commission-plate-cnptr3.html

I have a good selection of letter/number stamps - if you do not find an expert then maybe..........

Roger

Hi Roger yes that the one for some reason mine has been trimmed of underneath where it says 'Coventry England' to look more like this http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/commission-plate-cnptr3a.html?assoc=116550but it still has an octagonal outline, so it did start life as a full sized plate

TR Trader will stamp those plates for you.Oh and FWIW yours should have the one you show unless its a very early (55/56)TR3.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Stuart that a good spot, I just assumed TR3 so should have the 'big' plate but you are of course correct I think my car should have a 'small' plate interestingly I appear to have a 'Hybrid!'

Perhaps I need to spend more time enjoying/driving the thing rather than worrying about what size the bl@@dy commission number plate is :D:P first world problems and all that !

post-7429-0-40113500-1494926887_thumb.jpg

'Hybrid' is one word for it . . . ! :lol:

Often enough that's the kind of clue that indicates a possibly murky past, back in the days when we'd make one acceptable car out of two or three scrappers, and there were lots of little workshops in the business of ding a lings . . . . :rolleyes:

I hate to think how many old TRs have precious little to do with what their owners fondly think them to be . . . . . ;)

Cheers

Alec

Stuart that a good spot, I just assumed TR3 so should have the 'big' plate but you are of course correct I think my car should have a 'small' plate interestingly I appear to have a 'Hybrid!'

Perhaps I need to spend more time enjoying/driving the thing rather than worrying about what size the bl@@dy commission number plate is :D:P first world problems and all that !

'Hybrid' is one word for it . . . ! :lol:

Often enough that's the kind of clue that indicates a possibly murky past, back in the days when we'd make one acceptable car out of two or three scrappers, and there were lots of little workshops in the business of ding a lings . . . . :rolleyes:

I hate to think how many old TRs have precious little to do with what their owners fondly think them to be . . . . . ;)

Cheers

Alec

Alec's comments notwithstanding, I believe that cut-down commission number plate to be legit. Here's one from a friend's 30+ year accumulation that looks the same, from just about the exact production time.

The rivet style on your plate looks like replacement work, Graham. Commission number plates from that period seem to be done with drive rivets like that shown below.

i-RvVqcGF-X3.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Alec's comments notwithstanding, I believe that cut-down commission number plate to be legit. Here's one from a friend's 30+ year accumulation that looks the same, from just about the exact production time.

The rivet style on your plate looks like replacement work, Graham. Commission number plates from that period seem to be done with drive rivets like that shown below.

i-RvVqcGF-X3.jpg

Hi Don thats interesting as my current plate does appear to have some age to it, possibly, just possibly, at the time the factory was only drilling 2 holes in the bulkhead in anticipation of the 'new' smaller plates being used, but they still had stock of the old larger pates to use up ?? guess we'll never really know unless we can find the chap that fitted them in the factory…..and somehow I think that will be difficult if probably not impossible !

Well, I've never seen nor heard of an original plate like that shown in Don H's posting, but it certainly looks pretty original to me, the border outline looks to be the real thing in particular.......if it is original, they must have been used for a very short period, or one would have come up for discussion/analysis before now......nearly 50 years with sidescreen cars has, however, taught me never to say "never" ! Bill P.

The TS numbers are only 46 apart does this mean they were made at the same time (same week?) or do TS numbers not work like that ?

Well heres a new one for all you smart guys out there. On my TR3a imported from South Africa 2 years ago having been with the same family for 19 yrs or so ,an all original RHD that seems to have been exported built when the first owner emigrated. Behind and to the rear of the OSF wheel riveted to the inner wheelarch is a square aluminium plate bearing the ts number of the car. Has anyone ever seen one before? Cant send any photos as I am out of the country at the moment but I would be interested to know if anyone has seen one of these plates before. the car was registered July 1959 on all docs including one SA tax disc still fitted to the screen, my only thought is it may have been fixed to the car at import back into the U.K. If my research should prove that I have a " Bitser" I dont really care ,it looks good, it goes good, and by golly it does me good and thats all that really matters to me.

i-RvVqcGF-X3.jpg

Given that this cut-down commission plate is creating some interest, it seems worth posting the other photos I have of that sidescreen bulkhead for the record. The cleaned area of original paint is shown next to my original paint chip for Apple Green. Click on any image for the full-sized file.

i-nXQxKhM.jpg

i-JJBFs3x.jpg

i-pZCZkjv.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Hi Ruby,

Probably a part of SA import procedures for fully built cars, as opposed to CKD kits intended for local content to be added . . . . . I've seen additional (non-factory) chassis no plates attached to other marques imported from SA.

Cheers,

Alec

Thanks Alex, its all a bit hit and miss with these old ladies. I have managed to trace the last owner in S A and know the car was sold by them to a dealer in S A who remembers the car well. He gave me the last owners details or rather his Son but sadly not been able to contact either, but do know they had the car for at least 17 years.. There are lots of things " wrong " that the purists will pull to pieces but not much seems to be known even by T R S A about cars that were imported and not assembled in Durban. I do know the engine has been changed at some time for one from an earlier TR but the numbers all match on the import docs, and I have a sneaky suspicion it may have been in competition at some time as there is evidence of extra gauges having been fitted at some time and also the sump has been strengthened and provision for an oil temp sender as well. Like I said earlier I dont care too much about its history, I paid what I wanted for the car and I love it so nothing else matters. It is solid , rust free and goes like sh@@ of a shovel and thats how I remember them when they were new. Hope maybe we will meet up one day as we are not too far away from each other till then thanks for your respose Regards Chris.

• 2 months later...

I would like to add my thoughts to these "cut down" commission plates.

One or two cut down plates might be due to corrosion or damage, but a whole raft of them clustered around a batch of cars seems to me to be more deliberate.

I notice that the part of the plate that is missing covers all of the patents. I was wondering if this might be significant, if the cars concerned were ever imported into a country in dispute with Standard/Triumph over patents, or if these cars never left the UK whether Standard/Triumph were having problems with the Patent Office or Board of Trade as it was then.

Out of interest I checked the commission plate on my car, and it is a complete rectangle. My car TS 10959 is a real bitza, it started life as a TR2 or TR3 drum brakes all round - registration PED 952, but in the late 70s early 80s acquired a TR3 front end, a non-original colour of burgundy (a Vitesse shade) and the registration VDX 258 which is still on DVLA but the car is presently running on Swiss plates. The interior is not TR2 possibly TR3 or even 3A. A nightmare for ordering parts! I don't really care it goes well and I enjoy driving it. The purists will cringe.

Anyway I am sure those with more knowledge will be enlightening us.

I would like to add my thoughts to these "cut down" commission plates.

One or two cut down plates might be due to corrosion or damage, but a whole raft of them clustered around a batch of cars seems to me to be more deliberate.

I notice that the part of the plate that is missing covers all of the patents. I was wondering if this might be significant, if the cars concerned were ever imported into a country in dispute with Standard/Triumph over patents, or if these cars never left the UK whether Standard/Triumph were having problems with the Patent Office or Board of Trade as it was then.

Out of interest I checked the commission plate on my car, and it is a complete rectangle. My car TS 10959 is a real bitza, it started life as a TR2 or TR3 drum brakes all round - registration PED 952, but in the late 70s early 80s acquired a TR3 front end, a non-original colour of burgundy (a Vitesse shade) and the registration VDX 258 which is still on DVLA but the car is presently running on Swiss plates. The interior is not TR2 possibly TR3 or even 3A. A nightmare for ordering parts! I don't really care it goes well and I enjoy driving it. The purists will cringe.

Anyway I am sure those with more knowledge will be enlightening us.

TS10959 would be an early 1956 drum braked TR3 so that is correct.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Attached is a recent photo of my Comm. No. Plate TS 27489 LO which came new with my 1958 TR3A when I bought it brand new in May, 1958. Notice that there are 4 rivet locations (left over from the design of the TR2 and TR3 era). But in 1958 with the rectangular number plate, only the two bottom holes were used to secure the plate. There were always 4 rivets installed. The two top holes had rivets - just to close the holes.

post-1056-0-52869800-1503348199_thumb.jpg

Edited by Don Elliott

i-RvVqcGF-X3.jpg

Arriving late to this one.

Yes I have seen this style of comm plate for a TR3.

Years back someone came into the C&B shop and asked for a TR3 comm plate. I presented him with the only type we had...the big one. He rejected it telling me that it was wrong and plonked on the counter the plate of the same style in Don's & Graham's photos.

Why it exists and the range of TR3 it was fitted to I never discovered.

We could build a feasible fiction around it like the usual plate makers went on strike so an alternative was sourced from another supplier. or The factory had under estimated the demand for the cars, and under ordered. Who knows?

Peter W

• 2 years later...
On 5/16/2017 at 10:01 AM, stuart said:

TR Trader will stamp those plates for you.Oh and FWIW yours should have the one you show unless its a very early (55/56)TR3.

Stuart.

Stuart, in your fathomless knowledge, is the commission plate for early 3 55/56, a different one then?

8 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Stuart, in your fathomless knowledge, is the commission plate for early 3 55/56, a different one then?

IIRC It may well have one of those cut down plates or the earlier large type.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

IIRC It may well have one of those cut down plates or the earlier large type.

Stuart.

Oops, apologies, I had only read the start of the thread, then something went wrong. Yes I see now. What I knew was TR2 and TR3 used the big plate, and for the TR3A at one point they adopted the small rectangular one.

7 minutes ago, RoyM said:

are you saying you are able to do raised letter/number embossing, Roger. 

The commission No. plate ( as shown above) does not have raised characters, they are punched in using standard punches. The two brass plate over the battery are the ones which have raised characters. There are a couple of chaps on here who can do those.

Bob.