windscreen washer cunundrum

So,

I've had my TR 4 quarter of a century now, and guess I'm still learning.

Having had all the dashboard inards out over the winter, to pull the gerabox, on reassembly

a funny thing.

If I use the electric windscreen washer, the wiper stops, and vice se versa, it didn't use to be like this.

Thinks! I'll check the wiring diagram, and lo nothing about electric windscreen washers, only the wiper cicuit.

I check the owners handbook, and it shows a manual push windscreen washer, who knew? I've always had electric in th esame position on the dash.

So can anybody help with what I have inadventantly reassembled incorrectly, OR has anyone got the correct manual windscreen

washer pump?

John.

Hi john

The manual washers is what comes as standard but most people fit electric motor as more effective.probably best tracing all wires back from the motor and check all connections are ok.make sure everything is earthed correctly as well.

Nige

When I bought my 4A back in the '70s it had a manual pump mounted just behind the dashboard. I modified this so that the same dash button became a push switch linked to an electric pump. I recall cutting up the old aluminium pump body and adding a spring loaded switch on simple bracket; I must have taken a fused 12V feed from somewhere, but can't remember the details.

Maybe not so handy as a column mounted switch on a more modern car, but it is still working nearly 40 years later.

I am sure that many other cars must have had similar modifications.

post-14126-0-45687900-1494450920_thumb.jpg

I removed the push pump and installed an on/off switch with the original washer knob on it. I think it was a heater switch that I used.

Originally, I used a hidden pump behind the glovebox to maintain an original appearance under the bonnet, but when that died, I gave up and mounted a TR6 washer bottle with the pump on the lid. Bigger capacity and quicker response.

When the Speed Limiter travels with me, I have automatic wipers AND washers!