Hi All

Hamish has the correct answer and they were called coach keys. Only when the railways started to use them as Roger pointed out did they become known as carriage keys..They were used on corridor stock and clerestory coaches, and I think suburban slam door stock as well.

Don.

That George 5 silver key was called a carriage key, I wonder if he his own for the Royal Train. :D

Dave

Consistency of tool kit contents, whether included or accessory, was not generally a strong point of 1950s UK car manufacturers.

I certainly wouldn't share the seller's confidence as to precisely what was included in a TR or any other Standard Triumph tool kit, whether supplied by the factory or the dealer or via TSOA.

A representative selection of appropriate period tools in the boot is always a pleasing feature, but hardly something to get hung up about . . . . . or to spend 800 bucks on ! Hopefully UK Forumites are always ready to assist our friends overseas when it comes to putting together a tool selection.

Cheers,

Alec

• 2 years later...
On 5/12/2017 at 10:38 AM, Dave Larnder said:

Hi All

Hamish has the correct answer and they were called coach keys. Only when the railways started to use them as Roger pointed out did they become known as carriage keys..They were used on corridor stock and clerestory coaches, and I think suburban slam door stock as well.

Don.

That George 5 silver key was called a carriage key, I wonder if he his own for the Royal Train. :D

Dave

Still used, Dave by Irish Rail, to open control box where the switch for recorded messages is. And other switches too.