Hi guys, I have been using a small, about 1.5 ins dia x 8 ins grease gun for oil for the trunnions but today after 19 years use it has decided to leak everywhere and has had it.

Anyone know a good supplier for a gun suitable for oil.

Thanks Chris

Try this one from Cromwell:

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/grease-guns/olgh-cv-special-side-lever-gun-for-oil/p/CTL5404538G

There's a flexi hose available as an accessory (at extra cost).

Nigel

My oil gun (ancient Snap-On) lives in a plastic bag as it continually leaks.

I use steering box oil (semi fluid grease) now rather than EP140, seems easier to get hold of.

I have a scheme that involves a grease nipple on the steering box, so I can pump straight into it rather than dribble oil all over it. - Photos when it is done - I saw it done on a Daimler Dart, so not my invention.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Am I wrong in thinking grease is an option using the same type as the other grease points?

Cheers.

Hi Dave,

the Wanner is truly a brilliant piece of kit but I'm not sure if it will pump oil.

Certainly worth a try though

Roger

I know Roger likes his Wanner!

Roger, just for you... some Wanner instructions.... it can do oil!

post-13371-0-57306500-1493838936_thumb.jpg

post-13371-0-94542600-1493838940_thumb.jpg

Am I wrong in thinking grease is an option using the same type as the other grease points?

Cheers.

No you're not wrong but the workshop manual says EP140. The cynic in me would consider that this kept the customer coming back to the dealership regularly.

Personally always used LM grease and current trunnions are over 20 years old and done more than 60,000 miles.

Oiling is fine but a pain in the behind as you have to do it very frequently (greasing is once or twice a year) and many of the trunnions supplied these days are not sealed so the oil drains straight out of the bottom of the trunnion. So either you find a trunnion that doesn't leak, seal one with something like epoxy resin or solder. Or use grease.

I'm all for an easy life so I use grease.

My Castrol lubrication chart for TR2/3 (which I obtained about 1963) specifies Castrol LM grease every 1000 miles.

My Castrol lubrication chart for TR4/4A (which I obtained about 1969) specifies Castrol LM grease every 1500 miles.

For the TR4A's lower steering swivel, it states "remove plug, fit grease nipple and apply Hypoy gear oil until exudes from swivel".

This contradictory advicestrikes me as nuts, and I have always used Castrol LM for every grease point on my TRs since the early 1960s.

The most important thing is to grease often - that way, water, salt and general dirt will be driven out of the bearing surfaces.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc

Thanks guys, you've converted me to use grease as my big gun is full of black moly grease already.

Regards Chris

My Castrol lubrication chart for TR2/3 (which I obtained about 1963) specifies Castrol LM grease every 1000 miles.

My Castrol lubrication chart for TR4/4A (which I obtained about 1969) specifies Castrol LM grease every 1500 miles.

For the TR4A's lower steering swivel, it states "remove plug, fit grease nipple and apply Hypoy gear oil until exudes from swivel".

This contradictory advicestrikes me as nuts, and I have always used Castrol LM for every grease point on my TRs since the early 1960s.

The most important thing is to grease often - that way, water, salt and general dirt will be driven out of the bearing surfaces.

Ian Cornish

r

Yes Ian, I agree with you & exactly what I have been doing for the last 10 years or so.

Cheers.

My Wanner grease gun always seems to have a seepage of oil, so presumably the Castrol LM in it is getting thicker...

Chris, I used to use moly grease for everything until I read an article claiming that it only works on ferrous metals.

Pete