UOV has had a nice new braided wiring loom installed, however whats not so nice is the original braided cable 'tails' from the headlights/indicators/horns that connect to it so I was going to re wire these with new braided cables, any body any idea what size cable I need please. as per http://www.autosparks.co.uk/electrical-components/cables/braided.html

Hi Graham you need to size the cable to the power of each light being supplied.

Simply, Watts/Volts = Amps

So

If you have standard candles (sorry headlamps)

45W/12V = 3.75 Amps per candle/headlamp. Add a safety factor of "X" % I cant remember what is advised, but that means the "9 / 0.30" which can handle 5.75 amps, should be fine in the correct colour combination for that light.

Iain

Hi Graham you need to size the cable to the power of each light being supplied.

Simply, Watts/Volts = Amps

So

If you have standard candles (sorry headlamps)

45W/12V = 3.75 Amps per candle/headlamp. Add a safety factor of "X" % I cant remember what is advised, but that means the "9 / 0.30" which can handle 5.75 amps, should be fine in the correct colour combination for that light.

Iain

quote thanks Iain thats what I was thinking but been a while since I used Ohm's law !

Should you wish to use more powerful headlamps (e.g. 60W - standard headlamp bulbs) then you should really use a heavier wire to handle the current. Also, the voltage drop along a cable is directly related to its current carrying capacity (Ohm law again). To minimise this voltage drop thicker cables are better

60W bulbs need 5 Amps - safety margin means 7 Amp capacity (minimum).

Good luck

TT