Hi All in my 5 the headlight switch is on the right-hand side of the steering Colom, and the positions are

Top=off middle side light bottom side & headlight

So, when I got one from a supplier it was

Top= side & headlight middle sides and bottom=off

Can anyone throw some light on this (pardon the pun) have I ordered the wrong one ??????????

James……………….

I reckon it should be on the LHS of the Steering wheel, as the Overdrive and Indicator should be on the right......top is definitely right for off though.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Owner's manual shows lighting stalk on left as you look at the steering (with overdrive and indicators on right). However, it is on the right on a LHD car.

Mine is also top = off, middle = sides, bottom = main.

Darren

The right hand side ones have come off a TR250 you need to question why you have them.

Stuart.

The right hand side ones have come off a TR250 you need to question why you have them.

Stuart.

Probably they were either 'cheap' or 'the only geniuine ones available'

Stuart - Do they have black or chrome stalks originally?

Peter W

Hi All

well that’s give me a lot to think about my hand book shows it on the right as you look at the steering wheel and the faint sticker on the switch cover shows the lighting switch to be on the right, my 5 is a UK car and has had 4 owners and I have met all of them, and the first one is still breathing however in the mid 80’s it was shockingly maintained, and from 1994,to when I got it in 1998 an non-Triumph garage dealer butchered it, so nothing would surprise me.

So what I am going to do is order a LHD one and see how I go I am hoping to be using the original stork

James...............................

Probably they were either 'cheap' or 'the only geniuine ones available'

Stuart - Do they have black or chrome stalks originally?

Peter W

TR5/250 ones have a black stalk, often also found on very late 4a`s too.

Stuart.

Hi All

well that’s give me a lot to think about my hand book shows it on the right as you look at the steering wheel and the faint sticker on the switch cover shows the lighting switch to be on the right, my 5 is a UK car and has had 4 owners and I have met all of them, and the first one is still breathing however in the mid 80’s it was shockingly maintained, and from 1994,to when I got it in 1998 an non-Triumph garage dealer butchered it, so nothing would surprise me.

So what I am going to do is order a LHD one and see how I go I am hoping to be using the original stork

James...............................

Often the handbooks are for L/hand drive cars regardless,

While you have it all in bits to replace I would get the correct left side one and move the switches over, FWIW which side and which way does your overdrive switch work, if its on the left side of the column then is it down for in or up? If its up then transposed to the right it would be correct for a R/hand drive car, however if its down for on then that too is from a L/hand drive car.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

The O/D switch is on the Rh/s and it is down to put it in

James

So thats correct for R/hand drive, no idea why your light switch should be on the same side then.

Stuart.

Slight deviation I know but if it were me I'd do as I've done in Eric. That's with the lighting and od switches on the right and swinging the indicators 180 degrees to be on the left so my small brain doesn't have to cope with them being on the "wrong" side.

Slight deviation I know but if it were me I'd do as I've done in Eric. That's with the lighting and od switches on the right and swinging the indicators 180 degrees to be on the left so my small brain doesn't have to cope with them being on the "wrong" side.

That may well be why the car above has those fitted that way round, done by previous owner so as not to confuse.

Stuart.