Electronic distributor with tachometer drive

Hi All,

My dizzy is well worn and US spec retard only.

Has anyone on the forum bought the electronic dizzy with tachometer drive?

Are they accurate and reliable? If so with Lucas repro's at around £400 from a cost point of view the electronic would be an obvious choice if they work and are reliable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-6-Cylinder-Electronic-Distributor-with-Tacho-complete-TR6-GT6-Delco-/131597756354?fits=Car+Make%3ATriumph%7CModel%3ATR+6&hash=item1ea3d667c2:g:NcsAAOSwHoFXvCK6

All feedback appreciated

Many thanks,

Kevin

Talk to Martin Jay about rebuilding your existing dizzie

http://www.distributordoctor.com/

While your at it ask him about these repro electronic ones, you will be surprised with the answer and then understand why we always say get your original rebuilt and why Martin is so busy.

Stuart.

That bad!

Not much point rebuilding the US spec retard only as I now have a higher compression UK spec 219016 head fitted and want to max performance, therefore correct distributor advance. Albeit still running on twin strombergs.

I think I need to source a UK spec Triumph 6 cylinder dizzy from a Triumph 2000/ 2500 or similar.

Would this give me the correct advance/ performance for my spec engine?

Many thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

Saloon disy data here:

http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/advance_curves.htm

NB the advance and rpm are all at-the-distributor values: double the numbers for the crank degrees and rpm we all use.

Static timing has to be added- I reckon around 10 BTDC for 9.5:1 compression.

The TR250 is probably closest to what you need:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/27605-tr6-distributor-vacuum-advance/

post7: "The TR250 had 26 degrees of mechanical advance + 10 degrees static + vacuum advance of ~ 10 degrees ( not sure about this last figure ) for a total of well over 40 degrees" (my comment - these are crank deg)

The vac adv is only operational at cruise, and helps mpg. You would probably not notice its absence.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

That bad!

Not much point rebuilding the US spec retard only as I now have a higher compression UK spec 219016 head fitted and want to max performance, therefore correct distributor advance. Albeit still running on twin strombergs.

I think I need to source a UK spec Triumph 6 cylinder dizzy from a Triumph 2000/ 2500 or similar.

Would this give me the correct advance/ performance for my spec engine?

Many thanks,

Kevin

Martin would rebuild your US spec Dizzy to UK spec, give him a ring and he will tell you the SP on it.

Stuart.

A good choice for a carb'd 6 would be the Lucas Dissy from a Vitesse or GT6 Mk3, however they are all knackered by now and probably need a rebuild, so getting one refurbished to the correct spec for your engine is the best choice.

Or of course look at a 123 Ignition Distributor.

Alan

While your at it ask him about these repro electronic ones, you will be surprised with the answer and then understand why we always say get your original rebuilt and why Martin is so busy.

Stuart.

Stuart,

Does that apply to the123 Ignition Distributor?

Bruce.

Stuart,

Does that apply to the123 Ignition Distributor?

Bruce.

I have seen problems with them also, one of the Dutch guys had one go down at Malvern a few years ago. They also tend to burn through rotor arms fairly regularly too.

Stuart.

Anyone got a Triumph 6 cylinder dizzy with advance ie vacuum unit pointing towards the front of the car when installed in the engine in any condition for sale? Should be able to get one good one from two donors.

I guess Martin can to any spec if he has the correct die cast distributor body.

Please PM if you can help.

Many thanks,

Kevin

Anyone got a Triumph 6 cylinder dizzy with advance ie vacuum unit pointing towards the front of the car when installed in the engine in any condition for sale? Should be able to get one good one from two donors.

I guess Martin can to any spec if he has the correct die cast distributor body.

Please PM if you can help.

Many thanks,

Kevin

Talk to Martin first you would be surprise what he has in stock.

Stuart.

I have seen problems with them also, one of the Dutch guys had one go down at Malvern a few years ago. They also tend to burn through rotor arms fairly regularly too.

Stuart.

Thanks for that info! But a bit of a surprise!

Bruce.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am a brand newbie, however, my 6 runs on witchcraft so it doesn't have a distributor. I think I have an electronic take off and rev counter on a distributor in the shed. Let me know if this is of any use. The P.O. was a bit of a preper so I am knee deep in old spark plugs. Moderator if this post is unsuitable please remove.

David

Hi

I am a brand newbie, however, my 6 runs on witchcraft so it doesn't have a distributor. I think I have an electronic take off and rev counter on a distributor in the shed. Let me know if this is of any use. The P.O. was a bit of a preper so I am knee deep in old spark plugs. Moderator if this post is unsuitable please remove.

David

Hi David, welcome to the forum.

My 6 is thankfully devoid of ignition broomsticks and still has a disy.( athough a rotary solenoid serves for boost-retard). Original distributors are now scarce so it might be in your interest to hang onto it - just in case the witches fail.

There are lots of dud new plugs around. Old familiar names that we trusted are no longer reliable. Have fun sorting the good ones from the duffers.

Peter

Hi

David

Hi David,

Yes its of interest.

I will pm you.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin,

Saloon disy data here:

http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/advance_curves.htm

NB the advance and rpm are all at-the-distributor values: double the numbers for the crank degrees and rpm we all use.

Static timing has to be added- I reckon around 10 BTDC for 9.5:1 compression.

The TR250 is probably closest to what you need:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/27605-tr6-distributor-vacuum-advance/

post7: "The TR250 had 26 degrees of mechanical advance + 10 degrees static + vacuum advance of ~ 10 degrees ( not sure about this last figure ) for a total of well over 40 degrees" (my comment - these are crank deg)

The vac adv is only operational at cruise, and helps mpg. You would probably not notice its absence.

Peter

Peter, what mechanical advance does the CP car have? I understand its different to the CR series?

Cheers

Or just do it yourself! Its not difficult and I thought £200 for a refurb was a bit OTT.

Its a very simple device.

You should talk to Martin Jay http://www.distributordoctor.com/

He will explain to you why it costs that and why its a bit more than your simplified description.

Stuart.

Peter, what mechanical advance does the CP car have? I understand its different to the CR series?

Cheers

Post 26 shows several curves:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/24915-tr6-ignition-timing/page-2

Peter

Or just do it yourself! Its not difficult and I thought £200 for a refurb was a bit OTT.

Its a very simple device.

Excellent, you have obviously found a source for the body to shaft bush, please share so we can do our own.

They were a spare part but have completely gone now.

Peter W

PS how do you measure then setup dynamically the centrifugal advance ? on or off the car?

PS how do you measure then setup dynamically the centrifugal advance ? on or off the car?

Des Hammill's "How to build & power tune distributor type ignition systems" is worth getting if you are going to start working on distributors, actually its worth getting if you just want to understand how it all works.

Alan