Hi All

I have an early 1969 TR6 (CP25204) that came to Australia with its owner in 1982.

I know some of the car's history since that time, but was wondering if there is any way of tracing it's UK history ?

I Have no idea of it's UK registration.

Build date was 14 Jan 69.

Despatched to Bolton Motor Co on 17 Mar 69.

regards

John F

John,

Tracing a UK car without a registration number is quite difficult. It is likely however that as your TR was despatched to a Bolton Dealership in March 69 that it would have been given a Bolton registration number and very likely sold almost immediately as soon as the TR6 went on sale at the beginning of April 69 which would have slotted it into the NWH???G range of numbers which were issued in Bolton between March and June 1969. If it was any later it would have been in the OBN???G range which were issued between June and July 1969. Some Bolton registration records do still exist and enquiries should be made to the following:- Bolton Archive and Local Studies Service, Central library, Civiv Centre, Le Mans Crescent, Bolton, BL1 1SE. Tel 01204 522311 ext 2179, fax 01204 363224.

Hope that this helps.

Derek

TR6 registrar

Thanks Derek & Alec

The car was brought to Aus by a chap by the name of Mike Bindon.

He is still involved with TR's here,so I can check to see if he has any record of the UK Reg.

If I am able to find the Reg No, what's the next step ?

Also, when a car is registered in the UK does it retain that registration even if it moves to a different county ?

Is the reg no unique to that car, or can it be re-used on a new car ?

Thanks for your help

Regards

John F

John,

If you are able to find out the registration number then the next step is to contact the DVLA here in the UK, details can be found on the following web link, http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/relinfo.htm , explaining the reasons why you want the information. i.e. you now own the TR, it is in Australia, and you want to find out it's history. They do request a payment of £5 for this and by return you will get a photocopy of all of the previous V5 registration documents. Numbers are unique to a vehicle although they do sometimes get re-issued however that would be unlikely for such a relatively recent registration number.

I will give the Bolton Archive a call on Monday to see what records they hold for that period.

Cheers

Derek

John,

I did contact the Bolton Archive on Tuesday and am waiting for them to come back to me. For your information their email address is archives.library@bolton.gov.uk and revised telephone no is 01204 332185. I will forward any response on to you and will give them a call next Tuesday if I've heard nothing by then. Please can you send me an email on saffrontr@tiscali.co.uk with your email address.

Cheers

Derek

John,

Bolton Archive have now come back to me and the original registration number for your six was NWH 413G. Send me an email and I will forward the message that I received from them.

Cheers

Derek

saffrontr@tiscali.co.uk

I have to say Derek, I'm seriously impressed that you can pull out this sort of information at the drop of a hat. I'm from Bolton originally too (through the 60's) and I hadn't realised (or had forgotten) that WH was a Bolton suffix......I did recall BN though ! Not totally losing it yet.