Handbraaake!

Handbrake.._zpsdhfokql0.jpg

Does my drive look steep in this?

That's because it is.

And yet, here's the car hanging on the handbrake.

Handbrake%20steep.._zpsqypid3zu.jpg

I don't usually plug products, but these lever extensions that simply bolt to the brake levers, are the dog's.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Stag-TR4a-TR5-TR6-2000-2500-hand-brake-improver-/352018087890?nma=true&si=Hi5Dn6MXJ2lr05uFYoGEqyCCTt0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

MOT pass, no problem.

Ivor

edited to insert correct variant of product, oops

Edited by 88V8

On the 4A it is possible to re-position the cable attachment pivot hole on the actual handbrake leaver bu your right thigh.

If possible move it closer to the lever pivot. This will give a serious improvement.

It maybe that the later TR6;s may already have this improvement.

Roger

I asked the seller in the Ebay ad if the lever extension will fit TR6, he says it does not?

Did you get yours from that seller Ivor?

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

I Bought a Set from Tony Hart for the 6 and they Work OK.

Strange because the listing in the string above is for Tony, possibly he makes/sells a couple of variants ? I know I had to wait for him to get new stock of the TR ones in

Here's the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Stag-TR4a-TR5-TR6-2000-2500-hand-brake-improver-/352018087890?nma=true&si=Hi5Dn6MXJ2lr05uFYoGEqyCCTt0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Arrrgh! It's different!! Not been back here 5 minutes and I've caused confusion. Sorry!!!

Ivor

original post edited.

Edited by 88V8

Get all the adjustment correct and you dont need them, especially on a 5/6 as they dont have the fly off handbrake of the earlier cars and have a finer ratchet action.

Stuart.

+1 for Stuart. i know mine holds really well, took a bit of fiddling to get it set right though including getting the slave cylinders to move freely on the backplate, quite capable of locking the wheels for a handbrake turn! :ph34r::D

The handbrake on all TRs is a very poor contruction.

At their time there have been better ones on cheaper cars

with the cable going inside the brake drum and a long leaver there pushing on both brake shoes.

Anyway - I love my TR4A IRS

Edited by Z320

You think the TR handbrake is ineffective. Try the "umbrella' style handbrake on a lotus Elan +2. You set it up for the MOT it passes and then if you are not careful the pads (which are crazy expensive) have warn away by the time you get home.

Cheers

Tim

I had a closer look on the handbrake of my TR4A IRS in 2015 and made some improvements different from a longer leaver that makes the handbrake work very well. But I have a idea for a further improvement in 2018

If wanted I can report. Ciao Marco

Edited by Z320

Hi,

I am no car mechanic and could be wrong – but this is what I realized 2015:

Handbrakes on TR2-6 are a poor construction but problems grown with the IRS axle.

The TR4-system was used again, the brake plate turned 90° backwards and the trust block

of the necessary bowden cable was fixed on the only possible point on top of the trailing arm

– which is very “unfortunate”.

The “real leaver length” is always the line from force / cable to the pivot point in 90° angle.

To make the leaver more or less longer does not make it essential better and gives some benefit

to the torque and also some benefit to “more way” you have to (or can) pull the cable / handbrake.

I did not care more for this fact and left the leavers as they are.

The problem for me seems to be to me the trust block for the bowden cable on the trailing arm:

it is about 22 – 24 mm too deep. So the leaver is not only pulled in the direction you want but also twisted down.

So the shaft of the leaver is wedged and pressed to one single point on the brake plate.

To avoid this I made a spacer to lift the trust block up to the point where the clevis is fixed to the leaver.

That works very well and the trailing arm is solid enough for that, but I keep a eye on the point it is fixed.

Next I found the bowden cables to stiff / not elastic and made what you perhaps know from farming trailers:

I added a strong spring (from an old clutch) in the clevis. So I can pull the handbrake in 6 positions, my wife only in 4 :rolleyes: ,

position 2 is OK for normal use, 3 is save.

Last I realized my brake shoes working like a block brake on an old wooden carriage,

not like a “wedge”, how a simplex or duplex brake drum works. So I made myself o tool to grind the brake shoes

on the lathe exactly to the diameter of my old brake drums (it is easier to buy new drums).

Additional see the photos from a 2015 thread at Google; guess what 2018 could bring.

https://goo.gl/photos/Z6XYgmVZqHLHAeg29

The last photo is from today and shows my TR in the vineyards, the street goes 28% down,

handbrake is in position 5 and it is save.

As already told: I could be wrong – but it works

Do anything of this only when you feel competent enough.

Ciao Marco

Edited by Z320

Hi Waldi,

thank you for your reply,

but looking at the other answers I realize the theme is not interesting.

Seems a good working handbrake is total overrated.

Ciao Marco

Have we all forgotten to weld up the grooves worn in the backplates by the levers?

Do this, free the cylinders off properly & two shoes will contact the drum instead of one.

It is that simple.

Do it all the time, had to last week on a couple, shame someone had painted them without spotting it.

Stuart.

Have we all forgotten to weld up the grooves worn in the backplates by the levers?

Do this, free the cylinders off properly & two shoes will contact the drum instead of one.

It is that simple.

Stan or Stuart

Can you give more detail on how this is done? Checked the Buckeye Triumphs rear brake overhaul page and there doesn't appear to be any mention of this. If it's not too involved, I'll do it to my brakes next time they're apart.

Gavin