Starting problem

Hi all

Went to start the tr6 after it has been plugged into it's ctek conditioner over the winter.

Upon turning the key, all I get is the solenoid click noise.

Tried turning the lights on and starting again. The lights seemed bright enough and I don't think the problem is the battery.

Therefore, I am asking all you tr experts what you think the problem may be?

I can only think that it must be the starter motor.

I'd be grateful of any ideas on what you think the problem may be.

Thanks in advance.

Give the solenoid a thump with a stick it might be just poor contact inside. If that doesnt work,clean the terminals on solenoid and starter

I also used a C-Tek conditioner throughout the winter, although the car is used pretty much every week of the year. Earlier in thenyear, we had a very cold snap that lasted a few days and when I went to start the car, found the same symptoms you reported - battery almost incapable of turning over the engine. This despite the fact that the conditioner had been indicating no problems.

I assumed the battery couldn't cope with several days of very low temperatures (it was after all, a few months outside of its guarantee period!) and bought another. Problem solved.

This is a long winded way of saying - don't place 100% reliance on the conditioner and get the battery checked out.

Modern batteries in my experience now do not seem recharge like they used to. I suspect this all to do with stop start requirements of modern cars? I have noticed that these batteries have a higher resistance and require a heavier current to recharge them. My current Halfords battery is quite happy to accept a charge rate of 8 + amps to start, even when charger is set on auto, then falls back quickly to 3 amps and so on.

Therefore, I am not certain that all these battery condition chargers are up to it any more?

Bruce.

Personally I'm not a fan of conditioners. I've never used one, ever and never had a battery fail. Indeed I'm suspicious the their use might mask a failing battery which could give up at the very time that you least want it to. Just my opinion.

Edited by peejay4A

Hi all

Just to say thanks to everyone for your helpful responses.

I'm not very mechanically minded so appreciate your comments and advise.

Alan, my car is started regularly throughout the winter when not on the road and yes, I do expect it to start and it usually does!

Thanks again