The main problem here appears to be that the legislation lags the technology by several years.

The road vehicle lighting regulations of 1989 ​would seem to suggest that type approval for our cars is not necessary for filament bulbs. It does not however mention the fitting of other types of bulbs as they simply did not exist then. So while one can presumably fit any type of filament bulb this does not imply that LED bulbs are permitted.

HID and LED headlights are much more straightforward as without the purpose designed housing and reflector the beam characteristics will differ quite markedly from that specified in other legislation relating to vehicle lighting. They are clearly not legal unless complete lamp units are fitted and at the right height, with self levelling. wash/wipe ect. as dazzling other drivers and the potential for causing a potential hazard are strong possibilities.

Side lights and stop lights would appear to be a very grey area. Unless their brightness is such as to dazzle other vehicle drivers what are the real problems apart from a vague possibility of infringing legislation.

To enhance the brightness of older vehicle side lights and brake lights not only benefits the driver but also other road users as our cars can now be clearly seen in all weathers and times of day. It is interesting that the fitting of LED lights to Vintage and PVT vehicles (i.e. pre 1940) has been sanctioned by the VSCC for use in road rallies etc. They do not see it as a problem and the club has numerous members who are also lawyers.

As has been said many times in this thread, LED rear lights bring the lighting of our cars up to a level comparable to moderns and legal or not I will continue to use them feeling far safer and more relaxed than before when driving in traffic.

Our cars do not benefit from any of the current crash protection that all moderns now are mandated to have, but IMHO it is a small but sensible step to take when driving on our congested roads. I will let my insurance company know at renewal time but do not anticipate any problems. LED rear lights could well save them some expensive claims!

The main problem here appears to be that the legislation lags the technology by several years.

The road vehicle lighting regulations of 1989 ​would seem to suggest that type approval for our cars is not necessary for filament bulbs. It does not however mention the fitting of other types of bulbs as they simply did not exist then. So while one can presumably fit any type of filament bulb this does not imply that LED bulbs are permitted.

The thing is, Paul that this Law is silent on the matter of LED bulbs for the very obvious historical reason you point out. Consequently for cars older than 1986, fitting LED bulbs cannot be against this Law (illegal). It may be against another Law but I've yet to see it.

If the Government wish to make it illegal to fit LED bulbs then they need to update the Law but I suspect they have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

We can't shoot the messenger.

Just for the record, I thought Wayne's article was interesting food for thought and I'm glad he put it out there. Debating the content is hardly 'shooting the messenger'

We are all adults and debate is healthy. We can, in the end agree to disagree.

Just for the record, I thought Wayne's article was interesting food for thought and I'm glad he put it out there. Debating the content is hardly 'shooting the messenger'

We are all adults and debate is healthy. We can, in the end agree to disagree.

I never said that you were shooting the messenger, Chris. But, from the tone of Wayne's latest post, he seems to feel that some people didn't think he shouldn't have published the article. And, just for the record, I agree that debate is healthy.

Or 'LifePaint' from Volvo

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/humanmade/projects/lifepaint

Trouble is it washes off.

Peter W

Reminds me of a story about two VSCC stalwarts who owned a white Roi de Belges Edwardian. One dark night they donned black overalll and hoods, and painted on white skeletons. And drove along the A1.

So....take one white TR......and that Life paint....

Peter

• 2 weeks later...