what is the correct wiper motor for a tr3a 1958 vin ts 29455

Of course I should know the answer to this. I actually asked this question myself on here, a while back.

I got told by many that its a DR2. But a few said they had DR3A.

My Lucas data says it's 75296 for a TR3, this is a DR2 type. But it fails to mention TR3A at all even though it covers the correct time period.

I've sold motors to overseas restorers of TR's and they seem to be quite sure they want DR3A for a TR3A.

So either the factory built a mixture or a lot have been altered.

One thing I am sure about is that you want a 130-degree sweep gear. These are hard to find because a lot of the DR2's about have 110-degree, they originate from Sprites and Minors.

If you have a mounting plate tell me the hole pitch and I'll confirm what would go in it.

Electrically a DR2 and a DR3A are interchangeable.

A DR2 runs at 33 rpm and a DR3A at 45rpm. That's the main difference.

Edited by AlanT

As it happens I have a DR2 on my table looking at me and it measures exactly like your plate.

There are early DR2s and late DR2s. They have a different type of self-parker and take different gears because of this.

There are also screw-terminals on some and spade terminals on others.

The one on my bench dates as April 1959. I've about four in stock of all different variants.

If you have a wiring loom check if it has rings that would be fixed by screws OR push-on spade receptacles.

Unless you need to be super-original these details don't really matter. They will all work the same.

Here is one I rebuilt for a Register member and this is probably correct for your car. He wanted to keep as original a possible so it's been done with this in mind.

26508667581_f8bf1e6ffd_b.jpg

Sometimes I do them much more showy than this, like this early one which was for a Sprite Frog-eye:

20221541434_a2e8779761_b.jpg

Edited by AlanT

Hi Alan

I take it then that you can supply the correct one for my car with 130 degree sweep? Mine is screw on connections at present, although there are spade end connectors taped to one side which are probably the original ones off the motor, but not sure. What's the cost of the "ordinary" and the "showy"?

Thanks.

Keith

This is the wiper motor that came new in my 1958 TR3A (TS 27489 LO) when I bought it brand new in May, 1958. It is a left-hand drive built for North America. Your Comm. No. is quite close to mine. Mark Macy describes it on his site. - as a 3-wire DR2 wiper motor.

Don Elliott, Original Owner

post-1056-0-26120600-1492482180_thumb.jpg

post-1056-0-36535900-1492482226_thumb.jpg