Information on different sun visors

​I have recently had to replace my sun visors and thought it would be worth sharing the following information & pictures on different visors to help others - hopefully the attached pictures help show the issue.

​My original visor is the middle one of 3 in the attached picture - as you can see the top visor (from TR Shop and same shape as the one supplied by Moss) is a different shape, while the bottom one (from John Skinner) is the same as my original visor. I tried fitting the TR Shop visor, but the indent on the right hand side means the short inner pivot bar (not shown) does not reach the rubber retainer clip once fitted into the visor - I would have had to move the clip to use the visor, resulting in an extra hole in the windscreen frame, or slide the visor along the main pivot bar - but then the visor would hit the mirror. I did a search online and found the John Skinner visor - the same shape as my original and with fitted inner pivot bar. This engages with the retainer clip OK and you can also see how it drops down without fouling the mirror.

​Hope this is of help to someone.

​Steve

post-12975-0-47325500-1492258132_thumb.jpgpost-12975-0-59316100-1492258141_thumb.jpgpost-12975-0-94238300-1492258147_thumb.jpg

​I have recently had to replace my sun visors and thought it would be worth sharing the following information & pictures on different visors to help others - hopefully the attached pictures help show the issue.

​My original visor is the middle one of 3 in the attached picture - as you can see the top visor (from TR Shop and same shape as the one supplied by Moss) is a different shape, while the bottom one (from John Skinner) is the same as my original visor. I tried fitting the TR Shop visor, but the indent on the right hand side means the short inner pivot bar (not shown) does not reach the rubber retainer clip once fitted into the visor - I would have had to move the clip to use the visor, resulting in an extra hole in the windscreen frame, or slide the visor along the main pivot bar - but then the visor would hit the mirror. I did a search online and found the John Skinner visor - the same shape as my original and with fitted inner pivot bar. This engages with the retainer clip OK and you can also see how it drops down without fouling the mirror.

​Hope this is of help to someone.

​Steve[/font

Does the new John Skinner one stay up any better. Mine keep dropping down

attachicon.gifVisor comparison.JPGattachicon.gifRetainer clip.JPGattachicon.gifVisor and mirror.JPG

Stuart - you're right - it engages enough to stay in, but could be better - but I do still need to do some adjusting (see below).

Stef - That makes sense, but both TR Shop and Moss seem to sell the same visor to cover the Spitfire, TR5 and TR6!

DRD - Driver's side one stays up OK, but passenger side one drops down while driving, so my job this afternoon is to put a bit more of a bend in the pivot arm (it already has a slight bend in it from before) - suspect this will be a game of trial and error. I've seen reports of people squeezing the visor instead to tighten the inner tube, but I can't see how to do that without damaging the vinyl.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SteveB21
  • 3 weeks later...

A slightly delayed follow up to my post - the bend in the pivot arm has done the trick, with both visors staying up at motorway speeds on the M25 yesterday I attach a picture of the passenger side visor before re-fitting in case anyone is interested.

Cheers

Steve

post-12975-0-60872700-1494271943_thumb.jpg

A slightly delayed follow up to my post - the bend in the pivot arm has done the trick, with both visors staying up at motorway speeds on the M25 yesterday I attach a picture of the passenger side visor before re-fitting in case anyone is interested.

Cheers

Steve

all this info is interesting to many people keep it up.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve, I'll give this a go myself. I replaced the pivot bars and whilst the rhs is much better, the lhs like yours, gradually drops down.

• 2 years later...

Thanks Steve, they certainly look a whole lot better then the ones from Rimmers