Restoring wiper motor armatures

Mart - it's not a good idea to put your e-mail address on the open part of the forum, where web-crawlers can see it. Better to PM Alan with that request.

• 10 months later...

Hi Alan,

I remember seeing that you recondition wiper motors from some years ago.

I have a 4A wiper motor that will need reconditoning, would you be able to do it for me ?

It started off running slowly, but has now packed up.

Dave Jones

• 11 months later...

Hi Alan T and all. I’m looking for the “bearing cover” and felt/fibre washer for the armature tip of a 14w Lucas wiper motor. As mine are missing I’m not sure exactly what I’m looking for. Can anyone help? Thanks! 

Edited by RichardL
Name edit

Sorry chaps I've not been keeping up on here.  With the lockdown everyone is fixing their wipers and I've been inundated with requests.

Anyone who still needs a motor to be fixed should send a PM.  These show up in my emails and you will get an answer.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the detailed info on rewinding wiper motors. I found it very interesting. I have wound pickups for guitars, but never a motor (though I have been tempted from time-to-time).

I have sorted out various motors. Normally I find just cleaning and resurfacing the commutator is all it needs, but if I find one that needs more than that, I'll send them your way!

Kind regards

Tony

• 9 months later...

Hi know is this an old tread, but thought I'd ask the experts if they could help me diagnose the problem I'm having with my DR3A (single speed motor).

I recently pull it apart, to give it a service. It was working, but it needed a clean up.

After giving it a good clean and re-grease, I put it all back together and tried to test it. When i connected positive to Terminal 2 and earthed Terminal 1 and E it would make a slight knocking noise, but wouldn't spin. I tested the current draw and it was drawing 8amps (the max output of the the small 12v charger I was using)

When I took the top cover plate off, I could spin the armature by hand, but it does look tight against the casing. Has anyone else experienced this problem? is there something I'm missing when I re-installed the armature?

On 3/1/2021 at 6:21 AM, AndrewL said:

Hi know is this an old tread, but thought I'd ask the experts if they could help me diagnose the problem I'm having with my DR3A (single speed motor).

I recently pull it apart, to give it a service. It was working, but it needed a clean up.

After giving it a good clean and re-grease, I put it all back together and tried to test it. When i connected positive to Terminal 2 and earthed Terminal 1 and E it would make a slight knocking noise, but wouldn't spin. I tested the current draw and it was drawing 8amps (the max output of the the small 12v charger I was using)

When I took the top cover plate off, I could spin the armature by hand, but it does look tight against the casing. Has anyone else experienced this problem? is there something I'm missing when I re-installed the armature?

Slack the two long screws a bit and retry with power.  I often used to tap the side of the motor when it was running to get the lowest current draw and highest speed, when testing.  2 amps or less when running free is ideal.

Either the armature is jamming on the pole  piece or you have adjusted the end float adjustment screw and it is nipping the armature.  
Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT