Fitting a usb connector under dash

Hi Troops - I'm looking into having a usb connector fitted so the phone can be charged/used as satnav when I haven't got a navigator.

Has anyone bought one recently and can recommend, there are several on eBay and not sure which to choose. Any pitfalls?

Many Thanks

Christine Essex.

Hi Christine, if you have a power socket/cigarette lighter outlet already installed (negative earth), these, and similar, are handy -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOUBLE-USB-PORT-LED-UNIVERSAL-CAR-CIGAR-SOCKET-LIGHTER-CHARGER-ADAPTER-2-PORTS-/141652583862?hash=item20fb26e5b6:g:6C0AAOSw3ydVrX5o

Regards

Ian

The only real pitfall is the one covered several times in earlier posts regarding polarity. If the car is positive-earth then the 'earthy' side of the output from the USB socket will actually be at -12 volts. That means there is a risk of a major short-circuit if anything you plug into has exposed metalwork and happens to come in contact with the car body.

If the car is negative-earth then there is no problem.

I fitted a double USB socket into the side wall of the glove box liner. cut a suitable hole in the liner, push the socket through and fit the backing ring - easy to do with no additional bracketry required. Theres just enough gap to feed wires out through the gap around the glove box lid, meaning for a a sat nav as an example you can store all the excess cable inside the golve box which makes it very neat. For a phone you can leave it charging in the glove box - away from temptation whilst driving.

Hi All - thanks for all the input. The car is negative earth so that's not a problem. I don't have a fitted cigarette lighter but the suggestion got me researching photographs on the Internet. In the glovebox is a very neat tidy idea. Someone also suggested using the the ashtray as a usb connector/phone holder. I particularly want to keep her as original looking as possible so not sure about that idea.

I have til end of month when she goes 'in' for her facelift (she was 50 on 4th April) to decide which route to take.

Many Thanks as always.

Christine

I put a double USB up under the dash on the bracket that runs from the dash to the firewall near the glovebox. It is away from the prying eyes of the Concours Police. I use one socket on the iPhone and the Speed Limiter uses the other to keep her iPad charged whilst she navigates.

Being a good timber merchant, I cut a piece of pine to size to sit in the ashtray. I think it would be described as a rhomboid. It has a small groove cut horizontally on the back to go over the chrome trim and a hole in the centre which goes over the ashtray spring to stop it from coming out. I then screwed a Brodit phone holder to the timber to hold my iPhone. The attached photo shows it in action and shows that the Speed Limiter can hold her own - 232km in 2 hours 19 minutes on backroads. If I could remember how to attach photos.......

Edited by Rockie51

Wow Rockie, very impressive, I will show this to my engineer, you could market your pine bracket!

Before you forget how to attach photos again, could I be cheeky and ask for a side view?

I'm sure others would be interested to see your 'mod'

Thank you so much

Christine Essex

Hi Christine

Rainy day and the Anzac Day holiday here in Melbourne yesterday, so I took time off from fitting the new Racetorations gearbox tunnel to take some pictures. The back view shows my lousy painting as well as the groove that goes over the chrome trim and the round hole that goes over the ashtray spring. These two things stop it from falling out as you drive along. Hope it makes sense.

Given the small size of a TR windscreen, I think it is a better solution than a suction cap on the glass.

post-14867-0-95480900-1493157802_thumb.jpg

post-14867-0-36843400-1493157830_thumb.jpg

post-14867-0-20363600-1493157865_thumb.jpg