Hi all

When I bought my TR6 last year it had a recently fitted generic Lucas WSB 100 12V universal washer pump. This failed shortly (seized) after getting the car. I have since replaced the washer pump twice with similar replacements from different suppliers. In both cases the pump worked OK when fitted but then seized when used again about a month later.

The pumps seem to be seizing due to the "rubber" impeller expanding and jamming. My only guess is that this is due to screen wash additive. I currently use generic Halfords or supermarket screen wash.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues or have any recommendations for alternative pumps? The major parts suppliers (Moss, Rimmers) only seem to supply the generic WSB 100 type pump.

My coping strategy at present is to buy yet another replacement, fit it the day before the MOT is due and fill with clean water only.

Chris

Hi Chris, your last sentence is the way to go, I have never used my washer, only at Mot's, so only put clean water in it.....that solves the problem, but I agree the pumps should be better than you have experienced.

Cheers,

Conrad

If the pump is only for show, and MoTs, then instead of pure water, how about some antifreeze?

A major component of that mixture these days is an anticorrosion agent, which might stop the pump seizing up.

?

John

Edited by john.r.davies

If the rubber of the impeller is the wrong spec it will expand in water. I would send them all back for a refund