Replacing timing chain gasket - does the steering rack have to be moved?

Im pretty sure ive removed the pulley without touching the rack, ive not remived the cover though.

I want to try and use a liquid gasket to deal with the leak (top edge of the cover), I guess I could just loosen off all the bolts and pull it forward enough to put some sealant inbetween the cover and the block?

The rack doesn't need to be removed but the U bolts clamping rack to chassis must be undone. This just allows the rack to move enough to get the pulley off. Remember to use new nyloc nuts when clamping up the rack again.

Nigel

You might as well take the cover off, straighten the flange, check the cover for cracks, check the chain and tensioner and fit a new gasket with a thin coating of non setting sealant.

One of the upper timing cover bolts goes into the water jacket of the block so you should drain the cooling system first or be willing to deal with coolant peeing out of the bolt hole.

Stan