Halfords 20/50 Classic Oil

Just been to Halfords 20/50 classic oil 5 litre £15.00

Paul

Makes it more expensive when you add the necessary extra ZDDP into it.

Mick Richards

I've used Halfords classic 20/50 oil for years, never had an engine problem that could be attributed to oil in tens of thousands of road miles. Maybe different for a racer?

Nigel

I've used Halfords classic 20/50 oil for years, never had an engine problem that could be attributed to oil in tens of thousands of road miles. Maybe different for a racer?

Nigel

+1

Driven hard to boot.

Cheers

Mike

Mick

What 20/50 has the required (ZDDP) amount ?

Short answer there are a few, discerning opinion ( includes Peter our resident prof) seems to be that 1100-1200 are the sort of figures we should aim at.

If you aren't stressing the engine ( ie revs) too often or hard then the medium ZDDP oils like Halfords or Comma should be ok. I always break in a new engine for the first 2 oil changes with a heavy concentrate ZDDP oil, I believe after that the "fussy" components that don't like scuffing (cam shafts and followers especially) can stand the Halfords or Comma levels as long as you don't get the red mist too often when overtaken by something lower in the food chain !

Going racing, what oils do I use ? Millers or Penrite.

Check out the many oil threads in the search function, I seem to remember a similar thread only a month ago about Comma oil ZDDP Etc where many different views came to the fore.

Mick Richards

So could you use the less expensive halfords oil and an additive such as this

https://uk.eastcoastadditives.com/products/east-coast-zddp

And still be ok.

Still about half the price of the higher priced higher zddp content oils.

I understand it would be sensible to buy the oil designed with the higher Z content but ..........

I can see how being careful with money would be an important factor for you lmpecunious Audi A5 Quattro owners ! Lol.

Mick Richards

I have recently read a paper which suggests that the ZDDP needs to be included and thoroughly mixed with the oil and other ingredients during manufacture and that simply using it as an additive is far less effective. I would guess using an additive with cheaper oil is a waste of money better spent on buying an appropriate ZDDP-rich oil such as Penrite or Millers.

Thanks for a really interesting & useful thread guys. Roger's link to the Rover P6 club taught me a lot more than I knew about ZDDP and what it is there for. I have previously used the Halford's oil on occasion because of the price but changed to Penrite a couple of years ago when recommended by TRE.

Nice to know that ( for once) I am using the right stuff!

Hi Allan,

there is a big error in that P6 forum info. They refer to 1000ppm as 1% - I think not. more like 0.1%

Roger

Roger it seems the Halfords Classic is re branded Comma 20/50 classic and has a 0.08% zinc content, how does one convert to ppm.

So if 0.1% zinc content is suitable the Halfords brand at 0.08% would be quite near the mark.

Any way as a get you home or top up the Halfords/Comma would seem a reasonable buy imho.

All interesting stuff.

Paul

Hi Paul,

1000 part/million (PPM) = 1/1000 = 0,1%

So the Halfords would be 800PPM

Roger

That was easier than I had expected Roger, I can see now why you wear the hat????

On another note had my first road trip with the Cornish section last night, a little apprehensive at taking on 120 mile round trip but all went really well, lights even performed above expectation and a good group of people. Now searching for another excuse to drive it.

Thanks

Paul

Edited by Paul J

I can see how being careful with money would be an important factor for you lmpecunious Audi A5 Quattro owners ! Lol.

Mick Richards

Ha ha you bet. Ave 38mpg on the bloody Audi !!!!

And with my name I have to be careful with the dosh.( So I can pay for the premium unleaded and addative for the TR. )

Reply today from Halfords, stating that "the attached Safety Data Sheet which holds all the information regarding the product". However it only gives the zinc content as <1%, so not much help.

Pete