Have been thinking for a while now about buying a GPS tracker for the Triumph. So did a bit of research and thought Id try out "TKSTAR " GPS tracker £38.99 from Amazon and you just use a pay as you go sim, really clever bit of kit, Has a 90 battery life. Just phone up the phone number for the sim and it sends you a text with a google map link and battery health check and coordinated of the location. Anyway if you've not got one seemed a pretty cheap option.

I cannot comment on the tracker you mention, because I've never tried it, but I have tried a few others. And after a bit of trial and error and more research, I finally settled on Trackimo. At about £95 it's more expensive than the one you are looking at, but I prefer it because with the type you mention you'll probably have to remember to contact it every few weeks in order for the pay as you go SIM not to be cancelled. With Trackimo you'll get one year of free service.

Here's a review you might find helpful ... http://www.toptenreviews.com/electronics/gps/best-gps-trackers/trackimo-review/

Darren

Hi. (have you got a name?) I had a TK105A in my TR4A which I got from Amazon. It worked well if you are careful about the placement of the two antennae. Whilst reviewing these devices, I found people were concerned about the high quiescent current, but this only occurs whilst it is charging its internal battery, it drops to a few mA when done.

The reason I have replied to your post is that whilst setting up and learning how to use it, you can use up your text credits very quickly. I opted for the cheapest monthly SIM I could find, knowing that it would not run out of credits without me realising and then be unaware of any real alerts that could not be sent... Some of the alarms repeat until you acknowledge them, using up your credits. I figured that a monthly charge was worth the comfort factor..

Of course, these Chinese, almost unbranded but widely marketed, devices almost certainly will be under development, so what I have said above may be out of date now, but worth checking anyway.

Cheers,

cbxman (have you got a name?)

Yes you are spot on saying that while testing these devices you can easily exhaust the SIM credits.

One company to my knowledge still offers the cheapest SIM cards, top up a minimum of £5 every 90 days. Which is much better than the normal monthly PAYG contracts.

Details:

http://www.bertram-hill.com/classic-car-security.html

Cheers

Paul

I use a giffgaff SIM which gives free texts to my phone which is also on giffgaff. Top up is only then used for the short gprs bursts if I want to use the tracking app. This is from Rewire.

cbxman (have you got a name?)

Yes you are spot on saying that while testing these devices you can easily exhaust the SIM credits.

One company to my knowledge still offers the cheapest SIM cards, top up a minimum of £5 every 90 days. Which is much better than the normal monthly PAYG contracts.

Details:

http://www.bertram-hill.com/classic-car-security.html

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

Yes much nicer when there is a name to address isn't it?

When I looked, I felt safest with a monthly contract and it was only £7 per month, I think is £8 now., so not too bad..

Cheers,

Jerry

I have had the TK103A in my car now for more than a year and am very happy with it. i also bought a £10 giffgaff sim and still have around £8 left on it, so not expensive to run. You do have to use it at least once every three months to avoid the sim being cancelled but a quick call gets a return message within two rings. This immediately gives a google map of where the car is located.

I have not used any of the more esoteric options such as the vibration sensor, notification of movement out of a 200m radius etc.

There is an option to send a signal to turn off the fuel ( through a suitable cut off valve) which would be tempting if the car was nicked but I wonder what the insurance company would say if doing so caused an accident? An excuse not to pay out as I caused it? who knows!

I would highly recommend this kit even if only used in its most basic form.

cheers,

Allan

Edited by ollieTR4A

can you not get a second sim on your mobile contract, most of which seem to have un-limited texts