Day 7,990 of the ongoing restoration.....I am doing a test fit of the radiator and am worried that, looking from the side, the radiator is sitting too high ( or the engine is sitting too low) . There is a 16mm difference between the vertical centreline of the radiator top inlet pipe and the outlet from the thermostat housing. The radiator is sitting touching the chassis mounting pads, with no packing and the engine mounts are new with one shim on each side. There is a similar 16mm gap between the underside of the radiator and the chassis radiator protection shield. Is that usual? The distance between the radiator's mounting brackets and the top inlet pipe centreline is approx 50 cm (19 1/2") which I think is correct for a 3A radiator. So...should I just ignore the mis-alignment and move on to day 7991 and fit the hoses or do you think there might be a problem with the radiator bracket positions or engine mounts or something else that needs fettling?

Many thanks

David

post-4464-0-02276700-1491053208_thumb.jpg

David, another alignment test is is to pop the nose back on and see how the crank handle guide lines up with the hole in the radiator and the hole in the engine fan extension. If you can insert the crank handle through the guide, through the rad hole but the fan extension is too low then it is likely that the engine still needs lifting more. You should get this all to line up and still have a thin rubber pad under the radiator mounts.

Cut a slot into the end of the radiator mounting bolts so you can quickly wind them up and down with a screwdriver once you get them started.

Stan

Thanks Stan, for better cooling I decided against keeping the through hole when ordering the new radiator so unfortunately I can't use that as a reference. Is it usual to have to put several packing shims under the engine mounts?

Thanks

David

Alan- the picture is on its side I think. The oblong thing behind the top pipe is the filler neck.

David -from the photo it looks as though your rad top pipe sits a bit above the top surface of the radiator and the pipe looks to point slightly upwards too, at the same angle as the filler neck. On mine the pipe is lower than that so that the top of the pipe is just about level with the top of the rad and the pipe is more horizontal which makes it at about the same level as the thermostat outlet, so perhaps your misalignment is just down to the variation in build of the radiator.

There is no extra packing under my engine mounts, but is your engine horizontal ? If the gearbox mount is too high it might make the engine sit nose-down.

Thanks or rotating the photo, much clearer!

The pipe is slightly proud of the top of the radiator (see attached) and the distance between s it's centreline and the mounting faces of the brackets is 19". I don't now if this is correct? I have just tried the front apron on and looking from the front the pulley bolt is fully visible but as I don't have a starting handle guide it's hard to know if the engine is sitting too low, nose down. Re the gearbox mounting, it is about 1 1/2" thick. Re the radiator stays, they aren't in place yet but tilting the rad fiarwards slightly still results in a mis-alignment.

Dimensions

first two - Method then dimension - Main top inlet to bottom outlet centre lines dim - 520 to 525 mm

second two - Method then dimension - Main top inlet to bracket for chassis - 470 to 475 mm

attached

Hope this helps

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Well done, you have solved it Peter, many thanks. Whereas yours measures 470-475, mine measures 490 mm, hence the 16mm discrepancy I came across this morning! I feel,a phone call to the supplier might be needed first thing Monday morning....

Thank you all for helping with this,

David

Spot on, glad to be of help.

My dimensional checks were done with 2 old stock original radiators, to prove to a Chinese aluminium radiator maker that his product was shite.

Peter W

Spot on, glad to be of help.

My dimensional checks were done with 2 old stock original radiators, to prove to a Chinese aluminium radiator maker that his product was shite.

Peter W

Have had my struggle with the Chinese too.. in the end i have asked a local welder to correct the mistakes. Only problem left is the radiator cap. Its sae size , smaller than original caps. I found a sae with the right pressure (almost) and combined it with an original cap-top for the original looks.

In the end im happy because the car wont get hot even in hot italian conditions driving in mountains, jams,..

must say Its combined with an original bellows thermostat, 6 Blade tropical fan.

But dont have to use an electric fan which blocks the cooling area or replaces a, in my opinion, more reliable mechanical fan

Hi Dave,

If you intend to use the car for anything other than the odd Sunday run, you might want to think about installing the mounting points for an electric fan. Mine came with silly little plastic things to hold the fan in place, which I didn't like. I welded small tags onto the steel rad frame so the fan could be mounted properly. No one ever sees these little things and it's a darn site easier to do now than later. Planning ahead is really important during the rebuild. I know this because I didn't.

Regards, Pete

Ditto to the Chinese radiator. I got a local welder to move the mounting points upward by 15 mm to get the radiator to fit. It still clears the radiator protection guard that I had made up and thought more important now that the radiator sits lower.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Chaps, I think I will have to reposition the mounting brackets too. There is enough clearance between radiator guard and radiator to get the 16 mm I need for alignment. I wonder if this is dimensional error by the manufacturers or the result of trying to fit a 4 radiator into a 3A? I will take your advice Pete and have some fan mounts added at the same time.

Best regards

David

Hi David looks like front part of thermostat housing is fitter upside down, turn it 180 then im sure it will line up bang on. Martin

Perhaps in this case it would turn out right, i believe the housing should be fitted with the pipe on the lower side..