Question for a Sparks

Hi Sage Ones,

Having just converted to alternator and therefore neg earth I noticed the kenlowe had switched into reverse. Not something I had not thought about but easy to correct. My question is: is it likely the heater fan motor and wiper motor have done the same? Correcting the heater could be tricky due to access.

Regards, Pete

Hi Pete,

the Rad fan is easily reversed by swapping over the it's two wires. This is handy as you can use the fan as a sucker or blower, depending on which side of the rad you want it.

The heater and wipers are not affected by this, but very easy to test.

Roger

It depends whether the motor has a permanent-magnet field or a coil-wound one. A PM motor will reverse direction with applied voltage because the polarity of the field magnetism is fixed but the armature magnetism reverses. A wound-field motor with internal connection won't because both the field and armature polarities change together. Both the wiper motor and heater fan motors have a wound field so will be OK as Roger says.

It might make a difference in reversing the cooling fan direction if the blades are shaped rather than flat. If so they will work more efficiently in one direction.

Edited by RobH

Changed my car to neg earth and the heater fan fan still chucks the heat downhill on to ones knees, felt lovely and warm last night as we attempted to do a navigational scatter with the local Motor club, light rain, wet map, knocked off the headlamps, early bath and a pint of Hobsons!!

TR2/3 Smiths original heater fan motor wil always work in the same direction of rotation regardless of the way the two wires are connected.

I recently rebuilt a spare exchanged heater motor for a TR2/3 and tested.

Peter W