Why wont my car start

Hi Iain, No It's not 180 out, the dizzi dog will only engage one way, if i turned it around the vernier would be next to the block, and only a really mean bugger would break into my garage and alter the timing since I last used it!

Roy, I'm in Ashford, I have put my old plugs back, I always keep the old bits that i know were working as spares. I've ordered more tools, compression tester and strobe light, if it sees me aim a gun at the engine it may decide to work :)

Thanks all for your suggestions so far, I will win eventually, I have always worked as a service engineer, so I know that 95% of the time it's something silly, a 1/2 hour job, the other 5% is when you have to earn your corn, this may be one of those.

I will report back when I find out what it was, even if it's my fault.

Steve

I didn't mean the dizzy was rotated, just you seem to think 7/8 oclock is the correct position for NO1 to be firing and by implication No1 lead will be connected in the cap at this point.......that would be wrong its No3 lead that should be there. Just a thought.

Iain

PS See Pm.

Edited by iain

:lol: :lol: Yes, but what's that fella standing over it doing..........is it a magic wand, a light sabre or hi tech holy water dispenser, perhaps that's what i'm missing!

PS the chassis and bodywork look shot :)

Steve

That's the (LSL) Lucky Shamrock Light,the Chassis is back from the Blasters and awaiting my Magic Welding Wand the Body needs the Kiss of Life and the Engine a Full Rebuild,we will be busy this Summer.

I reckon it is a bad earth,

or a direct short (like when you wire in a hidden security switch,)

got to be electric

I have found keep cranking a car over is a waste of time, it runs or it doesn't

reading the past threads it has got to be something simple

pink

Hi Steve,

I'm with Iain on this.

#1 plug lead is at 10/11 o-clock

#3 is at 7-o-clock

#4 is 4-o-clock

#2 is at apprx 1-o-clock.

How do I know this - well after my gearbox out/in I tried to start the engine and found that I had deliberately fitted the leads 1-2-3-4.

Of course once I proved it didn't work (backfiring and all) I fitted them the correct way round and all was fine.

The things I do for research

Roger

Update!!!

In a fleeting moment of clarity, I have just realised why I was getting so confused with the timing, the spare cap and leads I have fits onto the dizzi 45 degrees out from the original one, but the leads were cut and labelled up the same, so at TDC it went 2 1 3 4

rather than 1 3 4 2, no wonder it was backfiring, I feel I now have a fighting chance.

Thanks all for your comments.

Steve

Update!!!

In a fleeting moment of clarity, I have just realised why I was getting so confused with the timing, the spare cap and leads I have fits onto the dizzi 45 degrees out from the original one, but the leads were cut and labelled up the same, so at TDC it went 2 1 3 4

rather than 1 3 4 2, no wonder it was backfiring, I feel I now have a fighting chance.

Thanks all for your comments.

Steve

That will be a Morris 1000 one then.

Stuart.