Hi Peter,

welcome to the forum.

as you have just started posting it would be a good idea to change your forum name.

Posting your email address may cause you problems with spammers etc.

If there is nobody down south to sort your head then Classic & Modern Engine Service do a very good job.

They are in Bracknell up the M3 http://cmesuk.com/

Roger

Pete,

There are two methods used to fit hardened exhaust seats for unleaded fuel.

The traditional method used a slightly larger new seat, frozen to shrink it and fitted to the machined out old seat.

The newer method is to use a seat that fits into the machined out seat at room temperature and use adhesives to secure it.

Most (all) workshops use only one method, so first decide what style or work you want then check out the workshops.

Sorry to complicate your options.

Alan

Hi Marcus,

indeed valve recession can happen but with most peoples limited mileage and at touring speeds (with quality petrol) it should have a long life without the inserts.

If one is doing many miles or constant high revs then definitely go for the inserts.

Roger

Another thing t,consider, which ive fun oot

is the SS valves that are being selt

thee,s things ive found are v v soft, the inserts

I got in are OK, butt the SS valves keep getting v v pitted

so much so, Ive had to change em oot, as ground em back so many times, they getting v v thin on margin

So, bunged in OE valves, see how they fair up.

M

Another thing t,consider, which ive fun oot

is the SS valves that are being selt

thee,s things ive found are v v soft, the inserts

I got in are OK, butt the SS valves keep getting v v pitted

so much so, Ive had to change em oot, as ground em back so many times, they getting v v thin on margin

So, bunged in OE valves, see how they fair up.

M

I don't know if this is the case but the fact that some SS valves are very soft may have been what saved my head. My head was modified by Osseli in the 80's the valves where HUGE nearly touching each other extra thin valve stems etc, anyway heads were plentiful then and so was leaded gas so not a problem ……..sold the car then recently bought it back with 80-100000 miles on the engine when it was pulled apart the valves were shot but the head only needed a decoke ! I'm gong to replace it as is and use additive for the time being and see if I get another 1000000 out of it

Edited by Graham

cos this happens

Hi Marcus,

indeed valve recession can happen but with most peoples limited mileage and at touring speeds (with quality petrol) it should have a long life without the inserts. If one is doing many miles or constant high revs then definitely go for the inserts.

HI guys, yes sorry for the brief statement :) I had been going to say if your only doing limited and road type mileage - why bother. And in these circumstances how many people have actually experienced any serious erosion. If your experiencing a problem then by all means fit them, but as its an option that's always available why do it unless you have a problem. Personally in my limited mileage competition engine I have never seen any sign of it, however by default my valves get a gentle lap on each strip. However that does mean that any lead memory my seats may have had is long gone.

If I had a problem I would fit them, however my default is why introduce something that does have a small failure risk unless needed.

Alan

I have seen valve recession on the 4 cylinder 1500 Spitfire/Dolomite engine, the head has the same build as the TR5/6 six cylinder engine. But to be fair it was fitted into a Herald Estate that had been regularly used to tow a boat long distance's on Motorways. So it had a hard life.

With limited mileage/use I would wait until the engine needs a rebuild.

Dave

Valve recession happened sometimes when we all used leaded petrol, so I'm with the "wait until there's a problem" group.

Maybe I'm biased - I once had a valve seat insert drop out (on a 1.8 Vauxhall Magnum) at high speed on the M1.

Pete

Hi Peter,

welcome to the forum.

as you have just started posting it would be a good idea to change your forum name.

Posting your email address may cause you problems with spammers etc.

If there is nobody down south to sort your head then Classic & Modern Engine Service do a very good job.

They are in Bracknell up the M3 http://cmesuk.com/

Roger

Thanks Roger, do you know how to do this? I've had a look myself about how to change my username but can't make sense of the website...Thanks.

Hi Peter,

send Wayne Scott a PM and he will change it for you - tell him what it should be Peter Allen would be excellent.

You can either find a post be Wayne - there are a few. Or go to the top of the page and click on members.

Scroll down to W and then Wayne. Click his avatar and send him a PM

Roger