Let's Talk Tripods

Hi Sage Ones,

I'm in the process of preparing my old long door for a tour of the western isles. My focus is on reliability

( high torque starter, alternator, discs etc) and safety. To this end I'm converting to LED lights courtesy of Bob, but my thoughts now turn to improving the old tripod headlights. I converted them to H4 some time ago but they can best be described as pathetic compared to modern lights. The problem appears to be projection. They illuminate the first few yards in front but not much after that. My question is, is the design so inherently flawed that little improvement is possible or can they be made to work more effectively? I would like to keep them as they look so period (form over function sorry I'm very shallow).

Regards, Pete

Hi Pete,

you have converted to H4 bulbs - What type do you use. The osram 'NightBreakers' are very good Philips also do a very good bulb

No extra current, just more light.

If it is the spread then had you considered spot lamps.

Roger

In the back of my mind a voice saying...

Tripods were designed for transverse filament bulbs. Most halogen headlamp bulbs ar axiall filament. It is also to do with the position of the filament from the reflector.

AXIAL Image https://www.amazon.com/Eiko-795X-Filament-Bayonet-Halogen/dp/B002CYPX5E

TRANSVERSE image https://www.energyavenue.com/lowres/detail/S50T4QCL12V.jpg

Available bulbs http://www.vintagemotorspares.com/page7.htm

I too have witnessed rubbish light output from halogen bulbs installed in Lucas Tripod lamps so went un original many years ago to complete halogen headlamp assys ie Cibie.

Peter W

Pete.

You don't say if these are original Lucas tripods, or modern repro.

I fitted repro tripods to my car when I first got it back on the road, they look good, but the beam pattern was not so good - not too bad on dipped, but main beam seemed to shine a lot of the light up into the trees !

Following recommendation on here I got hold of a pair of Cibie (Valeo) units from Eurocarparts in one of their many sales. They are so much better. This is the one: http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/471930011?gclid=CMPVkbnm89ICFTAo0wodNo8FOg

They, combined with Osram Nightbreakers, really make for a good setup.

I also have added relays to the circuit, which improved things further, but did not make a huge difference.

Get onto Eurocarparts mailing list, & watch out for their sales.

Cheers

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Thanks guys,

Bob - they are repro from moss I think.

Peter - I guessed someone would say it's the design ☹️

Roger - think I will try the Nightbreakers but I suspect I will end up swoping the units at least for the trip.

Any suggestions re spotlights? Period looking if possible. Should I be worried about mounting them in the grill? Don't want to hinder the air flow.

Regards, Pete

Edited by PeteT

According to Bill P cars up to 1955 had the Lucas F700 lamps without the tripod, apparently quite rare today. I must admit my 54 longdoor has tripods as I had a pair of good condition ones at the time, also I don't intend to do any serious night time driving, if I was I would go with the Cibies.

This thread put me in mind of my first Club Triumph RBRR in 1974. The late Paul Howell, one time custodian of OVC 276 and the first Lea Valley Group Leader followed me through the night in his early TR2 more or less from Inverness to John o' Groats. At breakfast in the Seaview Hotel at he explained that since his 'Tripod' headlights were so useless in order to make reasonable progress in safety he preferred to follow someone with a decent pair. When I asked why he hadn't simply fitted some more modern 7" halogen units for the Run he seemed horrified at the thought of non-originality!

Paul and I entered the 1978 RBRR together but preferred the greater creature comforts and superior lighting of my 4A. Unfortunately a newly fitted water pump failed just south of Glen Coe and we were stranded since in those days I didn't carry a spare. My car was recovered home in ignominy the following day, courtesy of AA Relay. I have a vivid memory from the first leg of the AA driver getting his vehicle, complete with my pride and joy on the back, almost sideways on a damp A82 by the side of Loch Lomond.

Tim

It took some time to figure out the correct ones for my tr2, but with help of info from RodBR, we figured out this would be the correct headlight. of course this is the continental edition, plus it has a NL -marking engraved as sign these lights were formally accepted on the dutch roads.

3KX1rHTf8hhppvl8BRCxwYy93semDfeV0IssxTxO

Pete

Re spotlights

Lucas 576 SLR if you want 5 3/4"

or

700SLR for 7"

Early works cars used the smaller versions, later the larger ones.

Iain

PS. They switched from Tripods for Headlights too, not sure when but certainly for the 58 Team cars and onwards.

Edited by iain