French Anti-Pollution sticker - Does this affect Classics

In todays paper it says

"This summer, driving into Paris,Lyon or Grenoble with out displaying an anti-pollution sticker will incur a £117 fine" Apparently stickers are available from a French website

(certificat-air.gouv.fr) costing £4

The website shows they are only available for cars from 1997 or newer so does that mean older cars cannot enter these cities?

Anyone know more about this?

Chris

Earlier this year, I asked le Service de deliverance des Certificats Qualite de l'Air ( contact@certificat-air.gouv.fr ) for the word on classics.

Tghuis is what they said, on the 16th March,

"Les voitures de plus de 30 ans ne peuvent bénéficier de la vignette.

Mais si votre voiture n'ai pas classée de collection, vous êtes restreint à la circulation.
Oui les voitures étrangères doivent acquérir cette vignette s’il circule dans les villes où elle est déjà en place."
Which Google translate delivers as ,
"Cars older than 30 years old can not benefit from the vignette.

But if your car has not classed collection, you are restricted to traffic.

Yes, foreign cars must purchase this sticker if it travels in the cities where it is already in place."
Which I fear leaves me none the wiser - anyone offer a more intelligent(?) translation?
John
Edited by john.r.davies

...Which I fear leaves me none the wiser - anyone offer a more intelligent(?) translation?...

I read it as registered collector's cars are exempt, and all others including out-of-country travelers are covered by the requirement.

As far as I understood every city is free to implement it's own regulations and zones activated permanently or at certain times. Some accept Historic cars without sticker. In Paris they are allowed to circulate during the weekend. Smog alarm will trigger additional restrictions.

With concern to Lyon the A7/A6 is for the time being excluded from the restriction, but soon the route will be declassified from Autoroute to Nationale status and in so far restricted.

The alternative will be the circular motorway east of Lyon. This route is a shear disaster during weekdays due to the endless exits and entries from Industrial areas including speed resrictions to 90km/h.

If you are heading towards the Languedoc or Spain the alternative could be from N of Lyon at Limonest/Dardilly towards Clermont Ferrant - Beziers where you join again the A9

How about after March 29th ?

Alan

Interesting ! B)

As fare I understand, the rule/ban is not applicable for foreign registered cars. Let me check the subject and confirm the info with the Triumph Club de France and I shall come back to you.

Best regards

Hello All,

Tom said “Go to Italy ~ much nicer!”

Just make sure you have a GB sticker on the back of your car. A rather grumpy Italian policeman fined me 70 Euros a couple of years ago for not having one. Apparently I was “Contravening the Geneva Convention.” by not displaying a sticker.

I found the French police much friendlier (and cunning…). In the 1970’s I was stopped in France for not having a GB sticker on my TR. The policeman said “The fine is £100 (or whatever it was in francs in those days). However… I just happen to have a GB sticker in my bag I can sell you for £50. And I’ll even fit it for you.”

Looking in his bag he had a selection of “International stickers” that covered most countries of the world!

I paid the money and he went to the back of the car. After a bit of swearing and thumping he said “All done, on your way.”

About 50 miles down the road I stopped for some petrol and took the chance to look at the policeman’s handiwork. There was nothing there apart from a clean patch where the policeman had cleaned off the dirt and pretended to attach the GB sticker.

I then began to wonder if he was a real policeman or if he had just hired the uniform from a fancy dress shop.

Charlie D.

Hello All,

"I paid the money and he went to the back of the car. After a bit of swearing and thumping he said “All done, on your way.”

About 50 miles down the road I stopped for some petrol and took the chance to look at the policeman’s handiwork. There was nothing there apart from a clean patch where the policeman had cleaned off the dirt and pretended to attach the GB sticker.

I then began to wonder if he was a real policeman or if he had just hired the uniform from a fancy dress shop"

Charlie D.

Hi Charlie

It sounds like a real policeman in that case.

I had a similar experience about displaying an insurance certificate, when exiting a Payage a few years back.

He made a great song and dance about that for about an hour before letting me go, only perhaps because I was driving a Renault Espace?