Third Gear Selector Rod End Pin

As I stripped the GB top cover the 1/8" pin, fixing the 3rd gear change selector rod end to the selector rod,fell out. What's the best way to rectify this? I'm thinking of lightly countersinking the hole either side of the rod and peening over the ends of a new piece of 1/8" rod. I don't think new pins are available and holes are worn oversize anyway.

Just a thought.... were these taper pins of some sort? Would they work? Are 1/8" taper pins available?

Alan.

Hi Alan,

I don't know if they are taper or not but I would have thought they aught to be

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taper-pins-Mild-Steel-BS46-Part-1-1951-Various-Imperial-Lengths-/302247000998?var=&hash=item465f533ba6:m:meaYdndQBN1TJgXUV7j4-pA

Parallel pins don;t always stay put.

Using a selection of drills (the blunt end) can you determine the size of the holes to see if taper or not.

Roger

Hi Bob,

that would be a 'roll pin' - good idea.

Refitting a taper pin could be a problem if the hole is damaged

Refitting a roll pin is easier as the next size up could be used.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120pc-Roll-Pin-Tension-Pins-Spring-Pins-C-Pins-Assortment-Set-Mixed-Sizes-Black-/321577192765?hash=item4adf7e8d3d:g:GtsAAOSwSlBYrx8q

Roger

No Pete,

It's the pin that holds the "fork" at the end of the 3rd gear gear selector rod ( what the end of the gear lever locates in ) to the selector rod. It's not listed in any of the parts lists.

Alan.

Hi Alan,

I would go for the 'roll' pin. If they can hold a clutch fork then I'm sure they can hold a selector fork.

Hi Pete,

the outer two rods have the wedgelok screws but the central rod has a pin.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I was going to use a groove pin in the end but they are a bit scarce and none of the suppliers I could find would do less than a qty. 100. I tried a local engineering suppliers and they suggested a roll pin and they agreed with you that a roll pin would be more than strong enough. So I have fitted one. It was a tight fit and looks fine.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Alan.

Hi Alan,

excellent stuff.

When you rebuild the rods back into the top cover consider using Q-seals (or Quad seals). They are better than O-rings as they have two contact areas.

Imagine a four leaf clover with a hole in the middle for the rod.

Have a look here http://www.easternseals.co.uk/products/x-rings/

I used 'Mayday seals' in Gloucester.

The seal size is something like 4112 or maybe Q112.

Roger