Plenum chamber

Hi Rob,

depends how far you want to go. The top panel above the plenum can be removed but is spot welded in plenty of places.

Once off access is ideal .

Or you could try spraying the inside with a rust remover as Luka suggests.

You may still need to do some repair work as the bottom corners get eaten away.

Roger

Rob

" looks like access is restricted " .... not only looks like...is very restricted !

Choose your weapons... chemical dipping / blast cleaning , etc works ( to an extent ) if you are totally dismantling the car and have a full wallet.

Otherwise , the thin wire brush ( hand ) with a curved section at the front , curved washing up brush ( with or without emery paper taped to it) ,

an old chisel / steel knife. If you cut a 45 degree angle on the tip of the blade you can get to some awkward places. Old off cuts of wood will dislodge loose surface rust.

Use the vent " hole " in front of the windscreen ( vent removed of course ) and the access holes for the windscreen wiper wheel boxes .

It's a pain of a job and you'll never get at it all but.....what loose stuff you can remove , will help. Gaffer tape a rubber tube to the vacuum cleaner nozzle and hoover out the dust and rubbish. Treat the surface area with a rust preventative and blast some aerosol paint in there to finish off.

Good luck with it.

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

I'm removing and refurbishing as I go , so I've removed all of the dash , left the wooden one till later on in resto , but have derusted and painted metal dash , removed vents from these and repainted etc, clutch and brake assembly refurbed , but roger makes an interesting point I have s new dash top to be fitted and was looking and think window frame has to come out to do this? if so I may remove top of chamber panel as suggested , also was considering removing vent flap on outside of bulkhead but don't have any directions in any of my manuals as how to do this .

Thanks for all advice Rob ????

Rob

Air Intake Vent Section 76.15.17 Triumph Repair Operation Manual (Hinged Vent )

1.Remove the spring nut and detach the control rod from the lid ( this is inside the car under the dash ...note how much rod is exposed ,so you can refit in one go ).

2.Disconnect both ends of the spring from the lid.

3.Remove the three bolts and lockwashers securing the lid to the scuttle.

( sounds easy , 50 years on , soak in Plusgas releasing fluid for a day or two .Try not to shear off bolts , having removed them don't drop them in the plenium )

4 lift off the lid. ( NB the lid hinge itself is often stiff , in some cases rusted solid...so Plusgas application again and work it gently , to and fro until there is free movement )

Another ten minute job ?? ( My wife knows better after watching me restore mine ! )

Bob