Slow direction indicators

When my TR6 was at the MOT-station the other day, I was warned that the direction indicators were very slow.

I was aware of the problem, they even tend to fully stop flashing at tickover, when breaking or when the Kenow turns on.

I've tried before to find the cause and have cleaned the contacts, bulbholders, earth, but this never cured the problem.

Any tips/advice on an effective remedy will be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

I would be looking at the alternator when engine is running if its a 15 or 16ACR bin it and use a 18 ACR (45 amp) minimum. What size battery? S/B at least 65 amp/hr + and what condition are the battery terminals and earth wire? Lastly change the flasher unit to an electronic one.

Bruce

Thanks guys !

The flasher is the correct part, the bulbs all have the correct wattage, the alternator is 60 Amps and the battery is new and strong enough...

I think an electronic flasher will be the best and easiest option.

Which is the best type to replace the original bi-metal one?

Cheers,

Tim

I replaced my original/slow flasher with an electronic one designed with LEDs in mind.

This flashes fast and consistently, and allows me to change to leds if i ever want to.

It was three wire rather than 2, but just needs an additional earth.

At the same time i swapped the dim bulb in the instruments to an led, but you need to buy a 'special' dual led to cope with the reversing polarity issue. From Classic Car Leds on ebay, who also supplied led dash panel illumination leds which are excellent.

I can look out the part numbers/suppliers if youd like, or search ebay

Steve

Edited by SDerbyshire

Bad grounds, corroded bulb holders and incorrect wattage bulbs are three of the usual suspects. Electronic flasher units will strong-arm the system into working but will produce a different cadence and starting sequence to the original thermal flasher.

Stan