What is this warning light?

Hi all.

My oil pressure warning light is pretty feeble (direct circuit through the switch - no brake failure warning light on this car), whereas the charging light is nice and bright. I've fitted a new bulb and it glows brightly out of the speedo, so I'm guessing it's the coloured plastic lens that's at fault. I should mention that I've also earthed out the wire at the switch with the engine running, but no improvement. In fact, it's hardly noticeable in the daylight so I doubt I'd notice it at all if I had an issue.

While I was looking for the brake warning light that might explain the weak oil pressure light, I noticed the large green light between the speedo and tacho (see below). I haven't been able to find any info that relates exactly to my dash layout, just references to the brake or hazard warning lights. These have been in a similar spot, but rectangular in shape.

My reason for asking is that should this prove to be superfluous for some reason, than I'll look at converting it to my oil warning light :unsure: as it's in the perfect spot to catch my attention.

post-14246-0-67080600-1489391196_thumb.jpg

Any comments appreciated as usual, although if I've missed something really obvious, please be gentle...

Gavin

Hi Gavin

That doesnt look standard/original to me.

Take a look at the wiring, see if its part of the loom or 'extra'

I suspect the latter.

When i bought my tr6 i stripped out many metres of redundent wiring that had been added over 40 years !

Steve

The lamp between the dials looks after-market, so it will probably need some detective work to trace the wiring.

If the oil warning light shines brightly out of the housing then it does sound as though the lens may have become discoloured or perhaps there is something else blocking the light - dead insect? Dirt?

....... Andy