TR6 CR car rebuild starting problems

Hi guys this is my first time asking a question, just wanted to get some advice. I'm competing a ground up restoration on my TR6 and have got to the engine start point. I have a British CR 125 BH engine fully rebuilt to 150 spec, but i'm having trouble starting it. Having solved a few minor issues (wrong Coil) she has fired and run for a few seconds. I've turned the air idle down as it reved to high for my liking but now she seems reluctant to start at all. I suspect that i may have pulled some air into system as i lost fuel pressure due to low fuel in the tank.

Just to clarify the fuel system is total reconditioned too.

I have 100 PSI fuel pressure, timing is set, and i have a good spark.

Now for the questions:-

how much fuel should i get out of the injectors on turn over when trying to start the engine as all a seem to get is a dribble ? I suspect that this is the air i have pulled in any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Is there a recommendation for running in 1500 RPM for 15 mins as an example.

Been there, done that, again with Neil's input, and it works....

John,

+2 for Neil's advice. Been there myself and it works. It does sound like you have air bubbles/lock in the system. For info, although it may seem counter intuitive there is no need for the engine to be turned over during this. The injectors are set to blow circa 47psi, with the pump running at 100psi the lines gradually self-bleed through inter-port leakage (the machining tolerance in the metering unit MU).

If you wish you can pull out an injector or two and when they start to V slowly drip petrol, around a drip every 15 secs you are primed ready to start.

As Waldi says, run a charger on your battery to counter the current use of the petrol pump.

Are you running Bosch or Lucas?

Once fully primed running a tank dry should not result in such an air bleed process, but i guess as you have only run the engine for a few seconds you will still have lots of air bubbles in the system hence the restart issue.

For running in yes 1500-2000 revs for around 15mins. Is to do with sufficient oil lube for new cams and or followers. Do a search for 'running in' and you'll find several threads on this.

Hope this helps, J.

Edited by jamesStag

Hi, dont forget to take the plugs out when turning the engine over once youv'e left the pump running for about 30 mins It will tiun over a lot faster with less drain on the battery.

Once you feel a pulse in the injector leads, put the plugs back in and you should be away. Also best to disconnect the coil when running the pump for the 30 mins.

Worked for me.

Rich

dont over look the obvious check for spark again coil condenser rotor arm then make sure the injectors are spraying . put the ignition on listen to the tank see if fuel is returning back from prv is the firing order correct has the metering unit been rebuilt if so check metering unit timing . good luck