Mystery Churchill tool - front spring compressor for Triumph?

So I'm still digging - but it took an article on the history of Churchill tools published by Mr Mark Paget, a member of the Australian Austin 1800 club, to point out what I should have spotted right at the start - 

The S - prefix on a Churchill tool denotes a tool for the Standard Motor company (who of course bought Triumph in the 1940's, and officially became Standard-Triumph in 1959 according to Wiki).

Doh!

JD - Jaguar Daimler

RG - Rootes Group

L - Laycok

CBW - Borg Warner...

etc etc

Can't believe I didn't think of that.

And of course, the pages from the 1955 Standard and Triumph VLC catalogue that "2Long" kindly photographed a couple of days ago for this thread show the industrial fall out form the overlap and takeover - Standard 8, Standard 10, Mayflower, TR2, all on the same page, all starting with S - . Often the same tool for all of them. Also I note that on 2Long's catalogue, the M50 spring compressor is for the Mayflower. Presumably the Mayflower and the early TR's had similar front ends.

Doh!

Getting there. I find this kind of thing really interesting. Which presumably means I should get out more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 3:22 PM, nieldavis said:

Standard Vanguard III front spring compressor part number - S 143.

Almost there. I reckon it'll turn out to have been made for a Vanguard Sportsman, Ensign, Vignale or Six (the only successors to the Series III based on my homework).

Almost there...

Are you still interested in selling it ?

• 7 months later...