Vacuum in Rocker Cover

Hi,

I have a problem with a high vacuum developing in the rocker cover on my TR4A (making it impossible to remove oil filler cap when running)

Is this normal? I have stripped the PCV valve and it looks OK but I suspect it may be faulty.

Any help /advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brett

I hesitate to suggest anything about a TR4A engine, but ...

Any Internal Combustion Engine suffers from some blow-by, of combustion gas past the piston rings. Without ventilation that pressure would build up in the crankcase, so it's vented into the inlet manifold, so that waste gases and oil fumes are burnt up. But you knew that anyway.

The PCV limits the amount of gas that can be drawn into the inlet, because the pressure in the inlet is lowest at idle, and a leak of gas would disturb the idle speed, so the valve closes against a low pressure in the inlet.

As the engine speeds up, the pressure in the inlet rises, and the valve can open so that the gases can be drawn away.

So I suspect that the PCV is at fault, and not closing at idle.

You might try removing the cap when the engine is running as fast as possible - if the suction is less then my thesis is proved!

John

Hi Brett,

are you sure it is a vacuum. The cap needs to be pressed down to lift off;

Roger

Yes, vacuum inside the engine is not possible. TR4A oil filler IS vented

Indeed it is. That's what that little spinny thing is on top of the cap. It you take it apart there's something that looks like horsehair in there.

Edited by peejay4A

Hi,

I adree with John´s explanation,

because I made some experiments with the PCV last year to see how it works.

But it is never closed 100%.

I remember a vacuum of nearly constant 40 mm water column on my PCV,

with higher vacuum the valve closes itself.

I guess the PCV does not close when the diaphragm is glued by oil on the PCV-cap.

In the workshop manual is told it has to be cleaned with petrol (?) every XY (?) miles.

Or the breather bore in the cap is closed with dust.

My big bore was just a experiment to make it posible to tip it

and see what happens when it is closes complete! The original is back in place.

Ciao Marco

Edited by Z320

Thank you fo the video Marco - your oil filler cap is not the vented type.

It is from the PI TR5-6 models NOT for carb model TR4-4A-250.

Peter W

• 1 month later...

There seems to be a difference of opinion on this, is there a definitive answer to this question, 'should a 4a that is running a PCV have a vented oil filler cap or not'?

My 4a has a PCV fitted and what looks like radiator cap fitted to the oil filler, it leeks a little oil after each run, but only the odd drop if left standing.

Mike

I have had his type of cap for the past 10 years on my 4A that is fitted with a vented rocker cover going to a Racetorations catch tank system. No problems with this setup at all & having the bonus of losing the awful PCV!

Monty, I am trying to establish what the 4a would have left the factory with, there seems to be various options for this set up now. However, it seems there are a number of owners that swear by the PCV.

Should I have a vented oil filler cap with a PCV?

Mike

Monty, I am trying to establish what the 4a would have left the factory with, there seems to be various options for this set up now. However, it seems there are a number of owners that swear by the PCV.

Should I have a vented oil filler cap with a PCV?

Mike

The original oil cap for a PCV equipped 4a would have a vented cap, they have like a small loose top hat type of thing on the cap.Obviously mine doesnt have a PCV any more but the oil filler cap is the original type.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart