So the days are slowly getting longer and a little warmer and thoughts are moving to trips out in UOV, but what do people do to ensure their cars are still there when they return from lunch ? Was thinking of investing in a disk lock.

Hi Graham ~

I've fitted a concealed battery master switch under the dash panel.

Also, as my TR3A is fitted with an SU electric petrol pump I'll fit a cut-off switch to the pump electrics,

I will probably use a Krooklock device which will give a visual deterant.

I've also fitted a lock to the bonnet so no easy access to the engine compartment.

Although I doubt it very much that my TR will ever see the open road again! (Lost interest!).

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

You can install a battery cut-off switch if you don't have one already. I have just fitted a fuel cut-off valve operated by a solenoid valve;

You could also buy a large dog and leave it in the car...

Edited by qim

Difficult one.

The hand brake will defeat most:-), until they break it.

Disc lock or similar

A cheap tracker device.

Remove rotor arm.

Iain

I've read about shock sensors and I'd like to fit one. Probelm is: they need battery power and the first thing I do is to cut-off the battery. Is there a work-around? Maybe a simple mobile callimng another; i.e. if the it senses movement it dials a certain number where the owner can be alerted that someone is messing about with the car.

As long as the mobile has power...

Any ideas?

Edited by qim

I too have a hidden battery cut-off switch. But I mainly rely on the generally "scabby" appearance of Geoffrey in comparison to other TRs he is invariably parked next to. With so many superior examples in the car park he will be the last one to be nicked - or so my theory goes :wacko:;)

There are a range of low cost tracker units that are relatively easy to fit and that you can set up to monitor any movement outside a pre-defined area. That you can listen in on, and that can be used to control fuel pumps and other items.

TT

You could always wire an in line fuse of suitable rating in parallel with the cut off switch qim. This would allow the battery to provide power for a shock sensor etc. but would blow immediately any attempt were made to start the car.

Tim

Hi Graham,

if you are trying to deter the opportunist whilst you are at lunch etc then something simple would suffice

The Disclock is rather big and unwieldy. I use the Halfords 'Stop Lock' http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/car-security/stoplock-pro-steering-lock

This also has a flashing red light for night time. That'll scare the bu99ers.

It will not keep the most determined, on a mission, away but it will certainly slow them down.

Roger

You could always wire an in line fuse of suitable rating in parallel with the cut off switch qim. This would allow the battery to provide power for a shock sensor etc. but would blow immediately any attempt were made to start the car.

Tim

I would have never have thought of that! Great idea! Thanks

I too have a hidden battery cut-off switch. But I mainly rely on the generally "scabby" appearance of Geoffrey in comparison to other TRs he is invariably parked next to. With so many superior examples in the car park he will be the last one to be nicked - or so my theory goes :wacko:;)

Good point Ben...........I am more scared of getting it scratched/dented than getting stolen.

Mine does have a whole range of 'anti-theft' devices, but the thought of it being carelessly scratched is more far more scary!!!!!!!!!!!

I have for sale a disclock steering wheel lock that will fit up to 15"

Of course for those who haven't seen him at work our friend here is a pretty good deterrent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AidAXgq9dWc&list=PLoxADsZ9YforxtjWODy3Kz_8JjLH-Nxp7

Mick Richards

Dear Tom,

I for one greatly enjoy your wisdom on the forum, your non-PC inputs and the look of your very nice TR3A which is obviously turning into a superb whizzer. Although our circumstances are quite different I have been unwell for the past year or so and completely lost interest in TRs and life in general and even sold my car which in hindsight way plain silly.

However, a bare shell project has found me out of the blue and a change of medication has rejuvenated my interest and love for these damn silly cars and I'm back in the garage.

The club needs all the Belgrove cars it can get and you, Alec and rare people like you are the kind of folk that make the world go round and inspire the rest of us.

I hope you'll keep TRucking,

Best wishes,

Willie

Hi Willie ~

Thank you so much for that. It's been very hard to gain any interest in the TR after all that's happened.

I too have received Radio Therapy treatment and am now thankfully stable.

I hope that soon I may take up the challenge with the TR but it's much too early for now.

Thank you Willie ~ and all the Forum friends who have been so supportive to me.

Best regards ~

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Tom

Willie beat me to it.

Its hard to stay motivated when there appears to be Sh*&% all around, but please don't forget that the TR community is here to support in what ever way they can. I think we have seen many fantastic examples of this over the years.

Come on its nearly Spring, and "Your TR needs You!" :D

Best

Iain

Hi Graham ~

I've fitted a concealed battery master switch under the dash panel.

Also, as my TR3A is fitted with an SU electric petrol pump I'll fit a cut-off switch to the pump electrics,

I will probably use a Krooklock device which will give a visual deterant.

I've also fitted a lock to the bonnet so no easy access to the engine compartment.

Although I doubt it very much that my TR will ever see the open road again! (Lost interest!).

Tom.

Tom, Are you serious ?

Colin