Head refurbishment or Moss Ally?

Guys

Does anyone know the approximate cost of a full head refurbishment. i.e. Crack testing, new valve guides, new vaves, unleaded seats etc.

I live in South Devon and don't know of anyone local that could do this so am considering a Moss ally head replacement.

Best regards

Barry

Hi Barry,

there are a number of places that will do a head refurb - not sure the nearest to you.

I use Modern & Classic http://cmesuk.com/ near Bracknell. A good rebuild for apprx £400.

Do you really need an Ali head. Racing boys don't like them too much.

I have one of their steel heads (new last May) and it works well - lots of money though

Roger

Stuart at Watermill Carriage Co in Cornwall did the head on my TR3a including a crack repair and unleaded conversion - he's not a million miles away from you.

Very reasonable price. PM "Stuart" on here or give him a call.

Dear Barry

I have a Moss alloy head fitted in 2015 and am delighted with it.I use the car for road work sprints and hillclimbs without a problem .An iron head is better for a full race engine but for fast road work the alloy head is fine and you also save weight. They are indeed expensive and only you can decide on the cost benefit for your purposes.

Best Regards Tom

Rather depends what you call local Barry, I live in North Devon and have a machine shop up here that can undertake the work, they've done the same for me last year on an old head, several of the local group use them so they are very familiar with the old TR stuff. Send me a PM if you need more info.

I use Modern & Classic http://cmesuk.com/ near Bracknell. A good rebuild for apprx £400.

I have not (yet) needed to use them, however everyone I know who has engaged their services has been very complementary - no personal connection etc.

...... Andy

Hi Barry,

I live in South Devon (Yelverton) and have an alloy head going spare.

Alternatively, I had a cast iron head converted to unleaded by a garage in Wadebridge (Bridge Motors) that was recommended by Stuart as the one he uses. They did an excellent job and their costs were reasonable. On their recommendation, I used a local motor factor to deliver the head for me and to return it after the work was complete (FOC). If you want full details, drop me a PM.

Rgds Ian

Guys

Thanks for all the feedback

Sorry to be thick! what is PM???

From you comments It seems I don't need a Moss Ally head. I'm really surprised that a refurb doesn't cost more.

Hi Barry,

PM = Personal Message

Look at the top right hand corner.

If the envelope is red then you have a message - lick click on the envelope.

If you need to send a PM to any one, simply click on their avatar and off you go.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Is that like Twatting? (or should that be tweeting?) Not into so called social media as you can probably tell. Us old f**ts tend to stay clear of such things!

Thanks Guys for all your advice

I'll most probably go the refurb route - now the weather is predicted to get better in South Devon (sometime), I can face a cold garage and remove the head - not done that in probably 40 .

years.

1 to 3-4 cost does it for me.

Try Autoservice & Spares Ltd in Exeter, 01392 272429.

They flash ground the head, fitted new valve seats and valves, for about £350 inc vat, in 2013. They were recommended to me by a very fussy owner (and highly skilled toolmaker) of vintage Rileys. I thought the fact that they had a Ferrari crankshaft in for a regrind when I went in was a good sign as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys

Still looking at options but:-

TRSHOP.CO.UK This is their reply to an enquiry as per their advert in the pamphlet issues with the last TR Action:-

"If you would like us to have your cylinder head reconditioned it will be £650.00 +VAT (based on standard unleaded specification)

Please note, when we send the cylinder head away to be reconditioned they are crack tested;

If there is a crack on the cylinder head then it is scrap and cannot be reconditioned.

Please note, if this happens there is still an inspection charge of £50.00 +VAT

Our reconditioned cylinder heads are £1100.00 +VAT as an outright purchase.

There is no exchange required.

Unfortunately we currently are out of stock of reconditioned cylinder heads.

Are these Guys serious?

Barry

I have just looked out what I paid Hamlin in April 2015

Fit eight guides

Fit 4 Valve inserts.

Reface 4 seats

(Machine to the correct 3 angles for the new valves)

Reface block

£238.20+Vat

Valves, seats and guides extra as I provided.

Iain

Hi Barry,

just in case you have trouble lifting the head, when the stud/nuts are undone, you may need to remove or slacken the manifold studs.

On my 4A the front manifold stud could be screwed in too far and lock against the Cy Head stud.

Roger

just in case you have trouble lifting the head, when the stud/nuts are undone, you may need to remove or slacken the manifold studs.

On my 4A the front manifold stud could be screwed in too far and lock against the Cy Head stud.

One simple comment that makes the whole forum great!

Alan