Replacing lower crash pad

HI all

I need to replace the lower passenger side (71 RHD car) dashboard crash pad - seems like the main issue is getting access to the retaining nuts behind dash. Just wondered how much I need to dismantle to do this or if there are any tips from previous experience?

Also, the new crash pad comes with a lot of excess vinyl - am I supposed to trim this off before fitting or what?

Appreciated any insights...

cheers

Tim

Roger - thanks

At first glance it looks nigh on impossible to get a small socket on them due to so many other bits (not least the cubby box) getting in the way - just weighing up wasting time struggling with that compared to removing one or two key components that would make the job easier and might end of with a better end result - but only want to remove the minimum number of parts...

Tim

Hi, Tim,

I did mine while the dash was out to repair the gauges, so I'm not sure how far you will have to strip down to get at the nuts at the rear of the crash pad, but I suspect you may get away with removing the glove box interior only.

Either way, the only way I could get onto the nuts was by using a 5/16" x 3/8" AF box spanner ( can't remember which size fitted), 4" long.

Picked one up from ebay for £3 only.

Good luck with the job.

John