New Oil Pump

Two possibilities.

One is to remove the big gallery plug just above the relief valve and pump clean engine oil into the gallery with an oil can. This will run back directly to the outlet side of the pump.

The other, my preferred, but more hassle especially on a PI car is to remove the distributor, pedestal (and MU if fitted) and then the distributor/oil pump drive gear. Then, with a suitably slotted rod in an electric drill (running anticlockwise) you can spin the pump until pressure is produced.

Nick

Pre assembly pack with petroeum jelly.

Post assembly remove the oil PRV and squirting 250ml of oil in there shortly before start up.

you can prime by turning over the oil pump with an electric drill having removed the dizzy drive gear but make sure you have your torque setting on the drill quite low.

After checking end float of oil pump central rotor etc., pre- priming pump and oil gallery. I use an old diff filler squeezie bottle filled with engine oil, you will be surprised how much oil the gallery takes. The key issue for me is to make sure that the ignition is disconnected and the plugs are out. Then turn the engine over on starter motor until oil pressure is registered on the o/p gauge, oil light will also go out, before starting up. If you have a new cartridge screw on filter fitted, make sure it is filled with oil before it was fitted.

Bruce.

I can't remember how many engines I've rebuilt over the years but I've never resorted to any of this when starting up from dry. As long as there's plenty of assembly lube then spin it up on the starter the ignition disconnected until oil pressure builds up.

Edited by peejay4A

Pre assembly pack with petroeum jelly.

Post assembly remove the oil PRV and squirting 250ml of oil in there shortly before start up.

you can prime by turning over the oil pump with an electric drill having removed the dizzy drive gear but make sure you have your torque setting on the drill quite low.

If you use the PRV hole, most of the oil you squirt in will go straight into the sump via the relief passage. You need the PRV in place to block that off, hence the suggestion to use the gallery plug above it.

Nick

Tell us more? Why should you not do it?

I have done it a number of times an it works beautifully.

Tim

Tell us more? Why should you not do it?

I have done it a number of times an it works beautifully.

Tim

I'd like to know why not use this method also, I can't think of where it would cause any harm?

Or, can it potentially damage the oil pump?

Richard.

How many chaps have genuinely, really, tried the reversing electric drill trick?

I can tell Andy Moltu has.

He probably found out the hard way, as did I.

Iv'e never had a problem with it, OK it doesn't get any up to the rockers, but it does fill the filter, any cooler pipes (well as far as any thermostat) the oil gallery and the oilways to the Mains and BE's before you crank it over with the plugs out. Apart from being a faf as you have to refit drive dog, pedestal and distributor, what's not to like having as much oil in the system near the bearings before you spin them?

Alan

Look at the oil flow path Spmpw is bang on

Eh? As a regular user of this technique on both the (small) 4s and 6s I don't see see the problem. Yes, it is a faf and I probably wouldn't bother to dismantle an already fully assembled engine, but it works really well. It does need a degree of subtlety and on the 6 it also needs a special tool in the drill ("negative" screwdriver) to engage on the oil pump drive shaft. A cut-off section of a 4 cylinder pump (spitfire/herald) fits perfectly and conversely a cut-off section of a 6-pot pump shaft fits the 4 pot shaft, both of which also have the advantage of being a decent fit in the bush.

If this is a cryptic reference to the alleged possibility of an oil shower due to the oil feed drillings in the pump drive bush being uncovered (if you don't use a close fitting shaft in the drill) I have to say that I've never had any trouble avoiding this and performed this very operation on a Spitfire engine a couple of weekends ago, using a standard screwdriver bit, (special tool mislaid) with complete success and without making a mess.

Nick