TR250 - reversing the V8 hack

Finally got my un-cosher hands on my California/Sacramento TR250. Really pleased with it,but there are some issues to overcome.

post-14919-0-56790700-1488136592_thumb.jpg

post-14919-0-64427300-1488136643_thumb.jpg

At some stage in it's life,as befalls a great deal of 60's Brit cars a DPO has fitted a V8 Chevy - now removed. So,the angle grinder came out and an abortion of a firewall was shaped with rocks etc. post-14919-0-94235700-1488136732_thumb.jpg

Just spent today removing the crinkly mess now i'm left with this.

post-14919-0-34621300-1488136829_thumb.jpg

post-14919-0-41443100-1488136910_thumb.jpg

post-14919-0-79759200-1488136950_thumb.jpg

post-14919-0-48328500-1488137009_thumb.jpg

Any ideas on how to put this back to factory standard. I'm confused as someone said the internal body panels on a TR5/250 are the same as a TR6 but if you look at some parts catalogues they bundle in the TR250 with TR4 ?!! There is a TR4 front clip on Ebay so I'm interested in some sage advice,many thanks !

Just done some more homework and most the 'usual suspects' suppliers list the complete bulkhead assembly as the same part number for TR4/a/5/250/6. Correct/bunch of cr*p ? - delete as appropriate. I've inherited the lingo along with this car ....

Edited by Brian Damage

Most important: is the chassis still intact? If so, try to measure all what you've left for squareness and start rebuilding with the body and chassis connected! When you take the body off at this stage, you'll have a lot of trouble getting it back on after welding in a new bulkhead.

Menno

Basically all the area you need is the same for 5/6 The bulkhead is the same all the way through with minor detail changes in the plenum. Front wheel arches are 5/250 early 6 specific for the right hand one left hand is the same all the way through. Your going to need to do some chassis work, CTM engineering will be able to help with those sections.

Stuart.

Looks like a good car you've got there Brian, ready and waiting for a nice Rover V8, Make the car Triumph should have done!!

Chris

Yep putting another V8 in did cross my mind. Due to the flared arches I could fit some Carlos Fandango slot mags,jack the back up a bit,fit some lights on the back axle .....

But I'm really taken with the car,it's like a 50yr old time capsule so hope to put it back somewhere near original.

post-14919-0-66870100-1488224954_thumb.jpg

Check out the Laguna Seca sticker on windscreen !

post-14919-0-70288300-1488225056_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all your input chaps. I'll try and keep this thread going and update when things start happening.

Edited by Brian Damage

Nice unmolested dash unusually, good luck with trying to separate the rear wings though as they looked to have been filled into the rear deck and back panel.

Stuart.

Nice unmolested dash unusually, good luck with trying to separate the rear wings though as they looked to have been filled into the rear deck and back panel.

Stuart.

Exactly the same thing had been done to the rear wings on my TR250. I was really surprised when I ground off the fibreglass covering the join and I found the outer wings were near perfect, but the double skinned join between the rear deck and inner wing was swollen with rust. I cut out the rusty join in sections and replaced it with a single layer of metal welded top and bottom, 25 years later it still hasn't rusted there due to no water trap being present, shame about all the other double skinned bits though!

Neil

Looks fun Andy!

Are you going to convert to RHD or leave it? As it is quite a long way from standard already, I would seriously consider a modern straight six (BMW) fitment.

Would definitely draw a crowd .....

john

• 9 months later...

Update - As I was talking about phases. A very helpful gent on here supplied me with a donor mid-section. And for once i seem to have found a decent panel beater so the bulkhead's looking a bit healthier now.

Engine/Box now going in as we speak.

post-14919-0-33889200-1513203846_thumb.jpg