Tr6 wind deflector cheaper alternative

Thought would like to see my take on an alternative & cheaper method of fitting a wind deflector on my Tr6, I couldn't bring myself top spend nearly £200 on a bespoke one.

Your not going to like this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have purchased an a used MGF version off ebay for £50 including delivery and with minor bracket adjustment, right angle bracket mounted under my seat belt guides, It fits well.

I have not fully tested yet as ran out of time today, but very happy with the result.

following options may be needed to optimise performance

1. Increase height slightly by lengthening brackets, I think it may not be 1-1/2 below side windows, more like 2-1/2"

2. Make a pvc/leather skirt and fix with velcro to underside stop draft between seats.

What do you think ?

Andy

post-13335-0-76996400-1488119915_thumb.jpg

post-13335-0-75054100-1488119926_thumb.jpg

post-13335-0-49769400-1488119937_thumb.jpg

Funny how the mind focuses, the only bit I saw on the O/P's post was........

"Make a pvc/leather skirt and fix with velcro to underside stop draft" :wacko::unsure:

However what a good idea!

I find putting my Collar up is cheapest and works ok!

Did you use the MGF brackets or make bespoke ones?

Andy

I modified the existing MGF brackets, opening up the mounting holes for clearance under the seat belt guides and a bit of adjustment the mounting angles to ensure the hood frame cleared when retracted. To be honest i was suprized i don't have to remove the wind deflector when putting the hood up and down, it clears without a problem. The next thing is to road test it to see if it does the job, which i hope to do over the weekend.

Hope this helps

Andy

All

This is identical to the one i purchase of eBay, you will note the mounting brackets which were modified to suit seat belt mounting.

see link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mgf-tf-wind-deflector-/262876172566?hash=item3d34a41116:g:3uEAAOSwOgdYtv0S

Andy

Edited by Andy1966

Hello Andy,

Thanks' for the info (Photos, references, remarks...) and this good opportunity to have a wind deflector at a reasonable price

Concerning your inquiries concerning the options to optimise performance few comments based on my experience with a Stag and a TR6/

1. Increase height slightly by lengthening brackets, I think it may not be 1-1/2 below side windows, more like 2-1/2"

- Yes it can help, FYI I have a higher one going over the top the headrest on a Stag and this very very effective (Noise, wind back ...)

2. Make a pvc/leather skirt and fix with velcro to underside stop draft between seats.

- Yes this is interesting for 2 things, (i) during the winter this is helping a lot to keep the inside of car warm and (ii) on motoring all over the year to keep things safe on the back seat area not on a parking but also when you are moving as the turbulence may extract the things on the rear site area out of the car.

Best regards

Regards

Edited by Marc R
  • 2 weeks later...

Update

Took the car for a drive at the weekend as the weather was great and the wind deflector has made a difference, as stated I increased the length of the mounting brackets by 35mm to get the deflector height increased.

Image of brackets extended by 35mm, original on the Right hand side was 100mm centers between M8 clearance holes, now 135mm.

Not bad for total spend just over £50 so far

Question, can any of you advise me of what you have connected to the Bottom of the wind deflector to stop draft between the seats ? I am assuming leather/pvc material strip, is this correct ?, pictures would be fantastic

Thanks in advance

Andy

post-13335-0-15014400-1489496477_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 3/14/2017 at 1:08 PM, Andy1966 said:

Update

Took the car for a drive at the weekend as the weather was great and the wind deflector has made a difference, as stated I increased the length of the mounting brackets by 35mm to get the deflector height increased.

Image of brackets extended by 35mm, original on the Right hand side was 100mm centers between M8 clearance holes, now 135mm.

Not bad for total spend just over £50 so far

Question, can any of you advise me of what you have connected to the Bottom of the wind deflector to stop draft between the seats ? I am assuming leather/pvc material strip, is this correct ?, pictures would be fantastic

Thanks in advance

Andy

post-13335-0-15014400-1489496477_thumb.jpg

Following the advice on this thread just bought off fleabay an MGF blocker for £49 including brackets.  I know this is an old post but did you make the brackets out of flat bar, and if so what thickness.  If not where did you get new ones from. I'm a bit limited on the fabrication front I'm afraid!

Adrian

I think the flat bar dimensions were 20mm wide by 2.5mm in thickness with very simple radius'd ends, I will confirm next time I go to my lock up.

To be honest I copied this existing MGF ones as a pattern, hacksaw, file and re drilled out the holes.

I have still not finished the skirt on mine to stop the draft coming between the seats.

Hope this helps

Andy

There is a skirt fitted to the bottom edge of the Windbreaker in my car and it extends down to the floor.  It does a reasonable job but be aware that the flow of air will still blow forward between the seats unless the bottom edge of the skirt is fixed low down or on the floor.  I've found that fitting the hooked  strips of Velcro did not grip on the carpet.  I have found though, that putting stuff down behind the seats does a pretty good job of keeping the skirt in  place.

Although the air flow is much less, be aware also that air can flow forwards between the seat and the B-pillar are of the body - try making the skirt wide enough the reduce this tendency. 

The only downside to all this is that access to the back shelf is quite limited when the hood is up.